New Version of Airport Base Station Due Soon?

djubelirer

Registered
Does anyone have any info regarding when the next Airport Base Station is due out? Supposedly Apple has agreed to support a new version of 802.11 in the near future, which will be faster and offer double the range.

Any ideas on when this might be released? I am in need of an airport within the next month or so. However, it would be awful to buy an airport only to have the new one come out a few weeks later.

Does anyone think the new Airport will be released at MWNY? Any info on it?

Thanks,
DJ

I am using Airport on my iBook and I have not noticed any difference in speed. I have two other Macs networked on the same router the Airport is on, and all three Macs have the same internet speed. My point is, there really is no way to make Airport any faster. As for the range, at my college, there are several areas on the campus that have Airport base stations for wireless internet access. While outside, it can be a pain because the connection fails in different areas well within the 150 foot diameter. So a range improvment would be much needed.
-Doofy

no, doofy, he is talking about in the future, Airport cards still shipping are all the same. I've read that Apple and Linksys and other companies are developing an improved 5ghz version of 802.11. Reportedly Linksys has their 5ghz implementation running at 72mbps...and it is probably being pushed further. With all the promotions Apple is pushing Airport cards with they must be in the works of developing Airport2...mabye we'll even see it this MWNY?

Doofy, you'll be pleased to hear the the next iteration of Apple's Airport will use 802.11g, which will keep signal strength full up to about 175 ft.

Well, at least that's what I've heard.;)

If you're going to buy a hub you might consider the cisco aironet. Itsrange is far better than the aironet. On the other hand, it's more expensive.

Vanguard

While the person properly refused to make an official comment one way or the other, I recently asked an Apple sales rep whether I should buy an AirPort Base Station or a third-party Wi-Fi router (which is cheaper), and the rep told me to wait until after July 17th, to make ANY decision one way or the other. Now, while this is purely circumstantial evidence, it does support the rumored updated AirPort Base Station talk as opposed to contradict such rumor talk. So, as for me ... I'm waiting!!

I would like somethineg where you could plug in a FireWire harddrive or a USB printer into the BaseStation and use those from your different machines.

Now THAT would be freaking awesome.

Originally posted by doofy10
Ok I gotcha. Well what improvements were made for the last Airport update??
-Doofy
NEW FEATURES:

* 128-bit wireless access point with 56K v.90 modem
* AOL support (US only)
* Built-in firewall
* Support for up to 50 users

Originally posted by GadgetLover
While the person properly refused to make an official comment one way or the other, I recently asked an Apple sales rep whether I should buy an AirPort Base Station or a third-party Wi-Fi router (which is cheaper), and the rep told me to wait until after July 17th, to make ANY decision one way or the other. Now, while this is purely circumstantial evidence, it does support the rumored updated AirPort Base Station talk as opposed to contradict such rumor talk. So, as for me ... I'm waiting!!

I bought an airport base station and card on July 5. The purchase ticket says that I have till July 15 to ask for a refund (I got the education discount... if that makes any diff). Do Apple Stores normally give only ten days for one to return products? After reading this thread, I got all sweaty.... wondering if I had made a booboo by not having waited a lil longer to make this purchase...

I've had a great experience with airport. I have both my iMac and my iBook connected to the net (cable modem connection). Lately, my neighbors can see me laying in my hammock, out on the porch, enjoying the "fresh" air of a California evening... not a cable in sight. Thanx to airport technology, my iBook, and my hammock, I've been able to get some pretty good rest these days...

Also... I spoke to the brother of a friend of mine, who in turn has a friend who supposedly works for Apple (have I lost you yet?)... I asked if his friend had informed him of a new version of airport base station... supposedly, the friend told him that apple accessories line will remain intact...

Originally posted by Dusky

Also... I spoke to the brother of a friend of mine, who in turn has a friend who supposedly works for Apple (have I lost you yet?)... I asked if his friend had informed him of a new version of airport base station... supposedly, the friend told him that apple accessories line will remain intact...

Unless your friend's brother's friend (yes, I followed) actually works for the department which either (a) works on the AirPort product line, (b) works in manufacturing (of the AirPort) or Fulfilment, or (c) is a higher-up executive, unfortunately the information you provided is not dispositive of the issue for Apple intentionally informs its employees "on a need to know basis" precisely because of rumor sites, SEC regulations, etc. Besides, I am not quite sure that AirPort is considered an "accessory."

Nonetheless, it IS possible that no new AirPort equipment will be released; but an "intact product line" does NOT mean an unimproved product line.

I, personally, would like to see the new 802.11g implementation -- which is twice as fast (or more) as current 802.11b 11Mbps equipment and runs on the 5GHz spectrum. We shall see ...

Back