New XServe Storage Today!

Go3iverson

Registered
I don't think this was mentioned, but there's a new 5.6TB XServe RAID, carrying a $12,999.00 USD price tag. They also have updated the XServe to have a 3x400GB model :)

Well, PowerBook harddrives have seen slow but steady size increases... I guess we'll see 80 and 100 GB drives in one of the next upgrade rounds (100 GB notebook drives compatible with PB G4 etc. are now available from MCE, I've read...). But the TeraByte is still in some distance for PowerBooks. ;)

At this point in time does it really make sense to even have a TB in a PB? I think the size HD's that they come with are fine for most applications, but then again I also hold the view that I would only use a laptop as a portable not a primary computer. I guess I could take the traditional American perspective "Bigger is Better" lol.

Well, I'm using my portable as my main system, so I'm glad it has a bigger harddrive than my last one. Obviously, my next system will have an even bigger drive. But what I mainly noticed is that as I'm using this as my main system, the important thing is to have bigger external harddrives. You don't _need_ a TB to go, but might one day need one for the archives, backups etc. The problem I foresee is that when I have to choose what to always have with me and what to only keep on my external drives, to which I usually only have access when I'm at home in my office, the _size_ of the choice is increasing with increasing drive space. And choosing as well as copying takes more and more time. Ubiquitous access to vast storage networks is my future of choice. ;)

I would rather have 10K RPM drives on the powerbooks. The current hard drives (4200 and 5400 RPM) just aren't up to snuff.

I have a 40g drive in my ibook. it had a 10 in it but as soon as the warranty was up i opened it and installed the 40 giger. that is plenty for me, but the 10 was a bit cramped since the OS and iLife and dev tools and such takes up all of that! but the ibook is not my main machine so that is a factor.

Viro said:
I would rather have 10K RPM drives on the powerbooks. The current hard drives (4200 and 5400 RPM) just aren't up to snuff.
Ok.. a few things:

more movement means more power means less battery life.

more movement also means more heat

I think getting SATA drives into the laptops is a better desire..

thing is, i didnt even KNOW there were 400Gb S-ATA drives available.. i thought 250 was the market ceiling at the moment, and 400 for Parallel ATA

While more RPMs normally mean more heat/power consumption/noise, this doesn't seem to be the case with the 7200 RPM drives. Check out the tech specs, and the 7200 RPM drive in my Powerbook doesn't make my battery life shorter by any noticable amount. Given time, I'm sure they'll be able to put them into notebooks.

fryke said:
Well, PowerBook harddrives have seen slow but steady size increases... I guess we'll see 80 and 100 GB drives in one of the next upgrade rounds

They already have the 80GB drives, I have one in my PB G4 (well, 74.53GB to be exact, you know how that goes...)

There will be no end to the demand for larger hard drive size, even in laptops. I use my laptop for field editing of video and it would be a lot better to not have to cart around a firewire drive. I could easily make use of at least several hundred gig in a laptop. And with HD rearing its beautiful head, it's only going to get worse/better.

Back