Newbie Panther Installation Question

corvidfamily

Registered
Howdy.

I'm about to install OS X 10.3 (Panther) on a machine currently running 9.2.2 (a Blue/White G3 upgraded to 1GHz G4 Sonnet).

Mainly, I run Adobe & Macromedia OS 9 design software; I'm upgrading to OS X for MOTU Digital Performer 4. I need to keep my Classic apps for design.

These are my questions...

(1) Should I leave the current OS 9 alone, or does Panther include a version of OS 9 that I should install instead?

(b) If so, is it bootable?

(c) And do I even need a bootable OS 9, or will intensive design apps run just fine in Classic Mode?

(2) Is is better to remove and reinstall the Classic apps after OS X, or just install "around them"?

Thanks in advance,
Dwayne
Edmonton, AB

Well that is a tough one...Before you do anything, back up the files you need, there are no promises that Panther will run fine on the blue and white with a third party processor. Panther does not include a bootable version of OS9. You will need to install the apps into classic after the install. I currently run PageMaker 7 in classic and have run Quark (Quark does not like classic). I have not tried any of the Macromedia apps in classic. The apps tend to be ok, they are a bit slower, even more so on a G4, printers may not work well, I always noticed a marked difference between booting up in OS9 and using Classic.

I hope that helps some

You can just install around your current OS 9 setup. Both the system and apps will work just fine, for both Classic and standalone booting. For best results, however, most people recommend installing OS 9 and OS X on separate partitions if possible. They'll work on the same partition just fine, but you generally get better performance if they're separated.

However, I don't think it's a good idea to run such heavyweight-type apps in Classic. At least, not unless you have insane amounts of RAM to burn. You're going to need a few hundred megs to support OS X, plus OS 9 will use pretty much the same in Classic as it does on its own. It'll work, but if you're low on RAM, it won't be pretty.

Wow, you guys are quick.

I could install OS X on my secondary 120GB drive-- any drawbacks to that?

I remember being told (back in the pre-X days) that OS should stay on the first hard drive. Is that still an issue?

I guess I should keep the current OS 9 setup as is. I have 768MB RAM, hopefully that will help out when I need Classic Mode. Sonnet claims their 1GHz upgrade is compatible with 10.3 on a Blue/White.

-----------------------------------
EDITED TO ADD:

Would partitioning my primary 9 GB drive into 2 sections-- one for OS 9, one for OS X-- be a good idea?

4.5 GB each-- that won't cause problems, will it?

One OS on one partition, one on the other would not be bad, there is no real issue with using an external as your main drive.

black_rabbit said:
One OS on one partition, one on the other would not be bad, there is no real issue with using an external as your main drive.

If I remember; Blue & Whites cannot boot from external?

Back