Newbie Question

jonnyboy

Registered
Hi all.

I have just inherited an iMac with OS X on it (hence why I am asking you lot!!).

I have a couple of questions:

1. I have used Linux on PC's and was wondering if there was a linux distro that I could use to replace MAC OS?

2. I haven't got any CD's from the iMac and was wondering how I could get them so that I could wipe the machine and start from scratch? (The previous owner has filled it full of rubbish!!)

3. If I can't wipe the system asap how do I change the name displayed at login? i.e. joe bloggs computer

Thanks

Jon

1. There are various Linux distros that run on Macs (PPC).

Debian, ELinOS, HA Linux, Mandrake, MKLinux, RT Linux, SuSE; Yellow Dog etc. But - I am quite sure once you become familiar with OS X you will like that more than any Linux. At least I did. Get here where to get Linuxes for PPC if you'll decide to install and download something. (Debian or Yellow Dog? ) :)

2. Get the CD's for that Mac. I guess OS X (separate) Installation CD's would work from scratch but on the other CDs there might be other interesting stuff you'll need. Ask the previous owner if you can for those CDs. What iMac is it more specificly and what does it run now, 10.1 or 10.2 ?

3. You can create or modify the user. System preferences > accounts or something like that.

To get a little more information about your computer, go to the Apple menu in the corner and select "About this Mac ..."

Of interest is the processor type (eg: G3-400), the amount of memory (eg: 256MB) and the operating system it is running.
Also, you might want to have a look at Apple System Profiler (under /Applications/Utilities) for more info.

With a better idea of what your system is, we can give you better advice.

In answer to Q3, you can change the name of the computer in the Network Preferences. Go to the little apple in the corner, choose System Preferences, and then click the Network icon.

Thanks Guys

I have changed the computers name.

Its a Power PC G3 400Mhz with 64MB ram and its running 10.1.

The guy who I got it off has lost all disks!!!!!!!!

Can you buy osX disks?

Jon

you'll get more mileage at this point by immediately increasing your ram. any less than 128 is almost unbelievable. 512 or better will bring more smiles to your face. once you do that, you'll also get more benefit from buying the new osx jaguar (10.2) cd's which are readily available at any apple reseller. they run $129 or $69 thru apple if you're a college student.

but all you probably need to do to get rid of most of that 'rubbish' is drag and drop it to the trash and be done with it. very few programs leave anything more than a small pref file which won't interfere with anything else.

I have a 256 MB DIMM lying around that i was planning on putting in.
Will used the 64 for my router.
I will have to find out how much the CD's are in the UK!

Thanks

Jon

it has two ram slots so you could just add the 256 and have 320 total - more=better. just make sure that 256 is compatible. and you will quickly know if it isn't - kernel panics.

that should be enough to make you appreciate it.

Back