(newbie) Wireless Networking Accessories

I have a flat planel iMac a Powerbook G4 and a Sony Vaio (about 1 or 2 yrs old).

Now I'm trying to do a wireless network and am not sure where to start.

I need a router or whatever so i found Netgear MR814 which seems a bit affordable to me.
Now what else do i get? Don't i need some type of card or something for the iMac and the VAIO? The G4 has some antenna thing in it but I don't know what that means..

You'll need a an Apple Airport card in your Powerbook and a wireless card in your notebook. Make sure that they are compliant, ie, 802.11g router with 802.11g wireless card.

wait..it says on the Apple Website

Wired for wireless networking
The PowerBook G4 is ready for wireless networking with two built-in antennas ? you?re looking at one of them (17-inch model shown).

i still need a card?

Originally posted by i am yujin
wait..it says on the Apple Website

Wired for wireless networking
The PowerBook G4 is ready for wireless networking with two built-in antennas ? you?re looking at one of them (17-inch model shown).

i still need a card?

You still need a card if you didn't get it with the card to begin with. That's why they are "airport ready" and not necessarily airport enabled. Note that you could use a third party card (since your price conscious), but you're probably better off going with airport. There is a dedicated slot in the PB for the airport card (i.e. it doesn't take up a pccard slot).

You shouldn't have any problems getting the MR814 to talk with the airport cards.

You can get whatever 802.11b/g card you want for the Vaio, it doesn't have to be Netgear. I personally prefer the Orinoco Gold or Enterasys 128bit cards, but almost any will work. Be sure to only get one that supports 128bit WEP though (NOT 40bit).

Originally posted by binaryDigit
You still need a card if you didn't get it with the card to begin with. That's why they are "airport ready" and not necessarily airport enabled. Note that you could use a third party card (since your price conscious), but you're probably better off going with airport. There is a dedicated slot in the PB for the airport card (i.e. it doesn't take up a pccard slot).

You shouldn't have any problems getting the MR814 to talk with the airport cards.
hmm ok..
my brother uses that G4 at a college and he can just use it wherever since his colelge is wireless networked or whatever but he doesn't use a card...so there's a difference between the two?

sorry, hard to explain

Originally posted by i am yujin
hmm ok..
my brother uses that G4 at a college and he can just use it wherever since his colelge is wireless networked or whatever but he doesn't use a card...so there's a difference between the two?

sorry, hard to explain

He must have the card if he is able to connect wirelessly. The airport cards go fully inside the PB, vs a third party PCCard that goes into your PCCard slot (and sticks out the side). Perhaps you are thinking that he doesn't need a card in his pccard slot to get it to work? Like I said, you can order them with the airport card already installed, and if you do, there is no external indication that you have one, it would just work.

I don't have a PB G4 so I can't explain how to do a quick check. On the Pismo you just pop up the keyboard and the airport card slot is right there and it's easy to see if you have the card installed or not. I think the G4's have them underneath? I'm sure others can chime in or at the very least you should be able to find out on the Apple site.

This should help you out when you go to install your two new Airport cards or to check to see if they are there [but if they are in your Network Devices it's a pretty safe bet ;) ].

iMac (Flat Panel) and iMac (17-inch Flat Panel): How to Install or Replace an AirPort Card;
http://docs.info.apple.com/article....alue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|170244059

PowerBook G4: Installing or Replacing the AirPort Card;
http://docs.info.apple.com/article....alue=100&showSurvey=false&sessionID=anonymous|170244059

Because you didn't say what PowerBook G4 you had ::
PowerBook G4 to PowerBook G4 (1 GHz/867 MHz): How to Install an AirPort Card;

If you need to get two Airport card for your iMac and PowerBook G4 try this link:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...852f9XbIAjh25XBtI81VUJZqrh/1.3.0.5.8.3.1.13.0

As far as the built-in antennas in the PowerBook G4 go, pretty much since at least 2000-2001 Apple has included "Airport Ready" configurations in the PowerBooks and iBooks that have antennas built-in. So that a user (that's you) can simply install an internal Airport card to the system and not have any stupid PCMCIA card sticking out the side to get broke. That is all that "Airport Ready" means.

When it comes to your Sony VAOIAOIOOIIA you can pretty much get anything you would like that is complaint with 802.11b.
If you want to stay with your router pick, then just grab a Netgear card, or what ever matches your VIOAIOAA the best :).

Your router selection is fine; I have an older Netgear WAP that works great and have never experienced any real problems with any Netgear stuff. (That includes the inconvenience when they flashed their FA311's with FA310 firmware...oops).

I hope that this lengthy and horribly organized list of info helps you :)

\\\\ bootleg

Back