Newbie with an emac and a question???

wolf_pack

Registered
Ok computer gods I have a question? I have an emac 700/256/40g/cdrw/ll and running osx 10.2 whats the most i can do with this system? can i ugrade anything on it and make it more powerful...Also whats the osx system that i can upgrade it to? been a windows user all my life but started out on apples and i thought i would go back to my roots......thanks ....Bo

You can go all the jway up to 10.4.8 if you buy the upgrades. Now if the rumors may be true if you do not have a G4 10.5 might be out of the question.

Right now nothing is set in stone with Leopard (10.5). There were rumors about the G3 being dropped with 10.5, but we'll have to wait and see what happens. Regardless, 10.4.8 is a great Mac OS for such a system...however, it would require at least 512 MB if you want it to be useful. And if you don't want Dashboard or Spotlight slowing things down on your older Mac, 10.3.9 might be the way to go. Most applications nowadays will require at least 10.3, so even with 10.3.9 you'll be good to go without the extra memory requirements of 10.4.x.

It's an emac not an imac. emac = G4 so yes he will be able to run 10.5. I would first upgrade to tiger and add at least 512 MB's of RAM. I would imagine that with more RAM, leopard will run fine. But Tiger is so good that you probably would not need to upgrade for a while. Also, you can upgrade to a SuperDrive if your emac doesn't already have one. But you will definitely want to add more RAM if you upgrade to Tiger.

thanks guys would imac memory fit into the emac? because i have an old imac to so i was just wondering...Thanks...bo

The best way to find out is to check in the System Profiler for the type of RAM that you're using in your eMac. You might want to do the same on the iMac and compare to make sure that the memory is compatible. I don't remember exactly, but I think some iMacs actually used SO-DIMMs instead of full length DIMM modules.

Som other places to check out the specs of your Mac would be on Low End Mac, EveryMac, or Apple-history.com.

Back