Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

Nagging question. I havent had time to download the latest build of Tiger, infact its a couple of months out of date, and the version that i have isnt able to index or search pc volumes through spotlight. This is really annoying, and i was wondering if the latest version is able to say index pc mounted volumes. Because i am in a corporate invironment where the majority or people are on PC's and i administrate a small macintosh department for a huge corporate company. Sometimes it is vital to find files on the pc network.

Can anyone help please and thankyou

a question about spotlight:
in the movie on apples tiger-page where they search for "yosemite" and then get a separate window with all related files and mails separated, there is a small play-button on the image section.
is this some kind of instant slideshow option?

short and sweet :)
does this mean that finder now, theoretically, supports the same kind of instant-slideshow-from-the-content-of-a-folder that the XP people always are bragging about?

Hi guys (My first post here).

I too had problems with indexing not working with the latest build (8A393). I found that you can use mdimport through the terminal.

Just type mdimport into spotlight, and click on the terminal looking search result. That will open terminal and thus give you the path to mdimport.

This will give you the list of flags that can be associated with it.

I used: $ mdimport -f -V /

This forced it to index my root directory, and use verbose output so I can tell what it is up to (doesn't tell you much). It uses about 15% of my proccessor on average, but jumps up to 45 occasionally.

Will see how long it takes.

Hope this of some help.

Dougal.

Don't see server there, only client... Is it on the new downloads page for you?

Notebook users beware: "When operating on battery power, applications and menu extras may occasionally hang after waking the system from sleep. Workaround: plug in before sleeping, or set your Energy Saver preference so that your system will not sleep under battery power. If applications hang on wake from sleep, you may need to force reboot your system if an orderly shutdown from the Apple menu is not possible." --- Doesn't sound like that'll be ideal for my iBook... But I'll try it anyway.

doesnt sound like it is nearly finished either, as some rumour sites are saying. that was a really stupid bug.

no changes in this version except bug fixes (good and bad)? no more eyecandy?

I did an upgrade install to 8a414 from the last build. It started and stopped indexing 4 or 5 times. After the final indexing, everything is indexed. All the indexing problems with the last build are gone.

Matthew

Also, when I booted up for the first time, there was a keyboard setup.

Upgraded from 8A393 to 8A414, too, on my iBook. I noticed that Dashboard seems to work better now. The only thing there that gets on my nerves right now is that the Weather widget seems to someway get false information - or it doesn't correctly use Celsius degrees. It's about 15 degrees Celsius here, yet the widget tells me -4. ;) (and no, it's not set to Fahrenheit, where I see 24 degrees...) ... i just checked accuweather.com's website. Gives more accurate info. Guess it's the widget's code then?

This new build is rock solid for me...

The previous build I had major issues with Safari crashing 7 times a day; I have not had it crash once and I've been running it over 24 hours now... that is a _good_ thing. :)

hey guys!
im so excited! i was wondering for those if you who have tested tiger...how much of a speed increase are we probably going to see from panther? is window resizing better? scrolling smoother? how about application launch? just over all stuff!! i sure hope so...the speed bump is always the best feature in my mind....welll one of the best anyway...

thanks!!!
Mike

Decado said:
according to this article games seem to be faster:
http://www.cafemacs.com/#t560

Call me cynical, but those results look kinda suspicious. One machine was running 800x600 at 20 - 30 fps. And the one running Tiger was running 1024x768 at 35 - 40 fps. Why not use the same resolution for both? As it is, you're likely comparing apples and oranges. Poor way to do a benchmark, IMHO.

I think they did it to show that in Tiger it could run at those higher settings without any degrading performance. Who wants to try and disprove it? ;)

Back