Newest known Tiger build: Mac OS X 10.4.3 8F8

fryke

Staff member
Mod
This thread will be used to discuss the arrivals of new builds, so please don't create a new thread about every new build. Rather, we'll want separate threads on special _details_ of Tiger. We'll update the thread's name to reflect the newest reported build of Tiger.
Up until now, there have been only a few builds out in more hands than a few. There was 8A162 (the WWDC release), then 8A171 (via Software Update), we later heard about 8A2xx builds, mostly from AppleInsider and lately (more wide-spreadedly) about 8A268 and 8A294, which was more widely seeded (i.e. ADC Select).

(My download for the 1.99 GB DVD image is taking 2 hours - quite fast - so I can't report anything yet...)

fryke you are a bit further of cupertino releases if you got the build that you suggest in the title of the thread already 1st november (as the 1st post indicates).

Huh? Em... The thread's used to indicate 'latest builds', so I'm changing the thread's title, which also changes first post's title, as you're certainly aware, no? :)

fryke, i *really* avoid all the tiger threads. i still can't talk about tiger even with the people at work .. so imagine anywhere in the internet. but sorry, had to say that ..

Erh... That's okay, Gia. But if you _say_ something in a Tiger thread and I _answer_ you, I expect an answer, too. And I just explained why the first post reflected a newer build in the title than the post's date would suggest. (Because _yesterday_ I changed the thread's title, after Apple seeded 8A323...) ;)

I've installed it, blue&white. There's a new screenshot here: http://macintosh.fryke.com/cgi-bin/macnews.cgi/2004/12/08#20041208_mail8a323 ... But I haven't tried much with it yet. Back on Panther to do some work before I go back to Tiger. ;)

For me it feels like the system itself is quite stable, but some layers are being heavily worked on. Quartz Extreme, for example. So you get graphical glitches that might be annoying.

There's a _lot_ in the bug list. However, there's also quite some stuff marked as 'fixed' from the last seed...

I probably wouldn't advise anyone to try and actually _use_ the system in this state. But I could be wrong... And I'm going to try myself to put this on my main system in a few days (when I have the time to backup, upgrade to Tiger, erase, reinstall Panther, apply backup etc.).

Right now I'm only having the build on my external drive, empty, clean install. Which looks fine to me.

Zammy-Sam said:
Isn't the release date still january 2005? If so, this might be too soon for such a state, huh?
Still?
Was it ever slated for a January release?
I remember when Amazon first listed it for pre-order they had a date of March 19th or something, but I doubt that was "official"...

The only _official_ statement is 'first half of 2005', which could quite possible mean the end of June. But as I stated on macnews.net.tc, a January release seems _quite_ improbable, whatever other rumour sites have been blurting in the past. (I kinda remember that they linked some iLife rebate thingie which'll end in January or something to the Tiger release in January, which I even _then_ thought was wrong...)

Developers will only get 8A323 on DVD sometimes mid to end of December. And I don't think Apple would send those if a GM version was expected anytime soon. And quite obviously, none IS expected anytime soon.

While the Tiger builds have been fairly stable for the most part, they're nowhere near "ready for prime time". I think a January release is ludicrous. There's still substantial work to be done.

fryke said:
For me it feels like the system itself is quite stable, but some layers are being heavily worked on. Quartz Extreme, for example. So you get graphical glitches that might be annoying.

isn't "core image" the new quartz extreme pretty much? from what I have read it seems exactly like that. sorta like quartz extreme on steroids with image edit plugins thrown in.

Hmm... I don't think core image replaces QE. Flashing Aqua 'okay' buttons are certainly not in core image's area, unless i'm wrong. ;)

Back