News on IE7

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirstaunch

Registered
Found this article

http://news.com.com/Testers+lock+horns+with+Vista+beta/2100-1016_3-5805696.html?tag=nl

My favourite paragraph

"For sites Microsoft knows to be reported phishing sites, IE will display a warning screen rather than going directly to the site. A message will appear that says the site is recognized as a phishing-scam site and that recommends users "not continue to this Web site." A dialog box suggests users close the Web page but also lets them continue on if they choose."

Ha, another annoying pop up message when all you want to do is surf into that unsecure page which was probably designed on a Windows machine anyhow. Who reports these pages? Guess it'll be every second site you visit you'll get a popup saying "This Page Was Made On A Vista OS, Microsoft Recommends Not Opening This Page" Click 'Yeah I'm on a Mac, Continue' or Click 'Bl**dy Microsoft, get Me out of Here'

I wonder if you can report http://microsoft.com as a phishing-scam site?

:D

I dont get what you want. I think if MS knows a site is phishing, then an alert box informing the user makes sense. If for some reason the user wants to go there anyway, they can choose to do so. Seems logical and straight forward to me.

I hate IE 7 :D

It breaks Trillian connecting to MSN and some other stuff too and it can't be removed from Vista beta 1 :mad:

:(

contoursvt said:
I dont get what you want. I think if MS knows a site is phishing, then an alert box informing the user makes sense. If for some reason the user wants to go there anyway, they can choose to do so. Seems logical and straight forward to me.

I think he means about the general annoyance of being delayed by a message.

I understand but how else could you protect a user from phishing, yet still notifying them that its happening and give them an option to continue? Life is full of annoyances :) ...but in this case its helping keep a user safe so its good.

Exactly. Personally, it would annoy me, but that's because I would forget the overall purpose of it. While it would annoy me on the short term, it would protect me on the long term. It's a good idea.

In XP SP2's version of IE, they copied Firefox's notification system for popup windows which is fairly unobtrusive so presumably they'd use a similar notification for phishing sites.

Also, IE can't easily be removed from Windows 98 onwards, because that was when they integrated it into Explorer.

The annoyance of popup messages is my point. And the issue of who reports phishing pages, like could I report on every page I visit, then would the next person on IE7 get the popup message?

The problem I find with IE is that as much as you uncheck notify me when entering a secure site or something, the popup still asks you to confirm next time you enter a secure site. You can turn off all the java and popup windows still happen. I only use IE for my banking and nothing else, so hope the banks don't update to IE7 required for their pages, otherwise we'll be at a lost and spend our money else where....

Sorry admin, you can move this thread if it's out of place here, or close it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back