News: Open Source Community says X runs on Linux!

From their site:

" Mac-on-Linux lets you run MacOS under Linux/ppc."

Runs on a PPC, and not X86.

Originally posted by GadgetLover
Check this out ...

Mac OS X is running on a Linux platform! No, I did not say Linux running on a Macintosh, I said OS X running on a Pee-Cee!

http://maconlinux.net/

I'm affraid not...

It runs on a distro of Linux that runs on Mac hardware... not x86 PCs.

LOL...

Sorry! Didn't see your post until after I posted! oh well! heh :)

But damn I'd jump right on it if they where able to get it to run on a X86 Linux distro! I have just regain one of my PCs that was just retired as the server from my office (see my sig for it's replacement :D), I have connected it home and I just can't decide what in the world to install on it...

Linux? Why? All the resons I had to have a Linux box has been answered with my Mac and Jaguar...
Windows? For what? I thought I couldn't live without Windows - until I took both my PCs to the office and realized I didn't need Windows at home...

It's not strong enough for WinXP (as I found out when the stronger of the two (1Ghz Athlon - my workstation at the offce) barfed and made my latest project a living nightmare to complete)...

MacOnLinux would answer that question in a hearbeat if it ran on X86! :)

Mac-On-Linux was a project started a while ago that let you run Mac OS x such that x<10.0 (sorry, too much real analysis homework :)). I guess they finally have 10 running on it to.

What it means is that if you have a PPC and what to run linux and Mac OS, you can simultaneously. That's kind of nice, as there are some things that are made ready to work on linux that hasn't made it over to OS X.

I'm not saying I'd use it, but it is useful for some.

Matt Fahrenbacher

P.S. Didn't IBM have something called VMWare that did something like this? What every happened to that, or am I just confused?

With an X 86 port of OS X and Emagic for OS X the computer world is making a bit more sense to me .

Linux and OS X should be able to run with one another since we all love linux on our X 86 as well as our PPC platform .

BSD and Linux are great ideas for workstations not just servers .

Back