Newsgroups help needed

mattrstewart

Registered
i am just getting into newsgroups and have a few questions:

1. whats the best app for browsing files easily? (i prefer the files to be grouped instead of showing each individual .rar file)

2. is there a way to search for a file without loading each newsgroup? (for example - can i just type in a search for Leopard, and have it auto search each newsgroup and show me all the results? or do i need to load all files of a group and then search in that group specifically?)

3. My subscription to giganews said i get 20 connections with SSL, and 10 connections without SSL. How do i setup multiple connections. (for example..i am using Unison right now...which i sort of like.....and i can download 20 files at same time...but is that the same meaning as 20 connections? or can i connect to the server 20 times to get a faster speed? if yes....how?

4. are there free websites that let me search and download nzb files?

i am currently using Union too. But how do you do multiple connections? thats my biggest question.

currently i am only getting speeds of around 800Kb/s...but i am told that with my connection and location to server I should be at 2Mb/s minimum after i do full 10-20 connections

I don't see anyhow of searching for an individual article without subscribing to a group and downloading all headers and do the search.

Sorry i missed read you are using Unison, though I find it the best for binaries.

I don't have the 2mb connection so never sussed out the connections limits, but I can only guess if you are downloading 10 files at once, it must be the connection limit. Maybe look at giganews terms or something like that.

Is only one connection giving the full throttle?

Back