Next Byte Mis Represents Apple

cidion

Supervised Member of life
In sydney There is an Apple "supported" chain of stores called NextByte.

They Suck.

Granted, I have only been in 4 of the many stores in this area, but everytime, the people have a very limited knowledge of apple, and the operating system.

On one occation I acted new to the mac world, walked in, and looked at an imac. The sales person came up. "how can I help you?"

"I'm looking for a G4" I said. "Is this one?"

"Yes" they said. and went on to tell me some other things incorrect about the Imac and it's capabilitys. "it can produce broadcast quality video" - "it can burn DVD's" (the one I was looking at was the old iMac)

On another occation, I asked for a Griffin Powermate. the guy looked it up, and came back with a $300 AUD price tag. (+-$150 USD) It retails for $40 in the USA.

I said that was to much, and he said well you can try the iMic for a little less. It does the same thing. ------ It doesn't do the same thing.
He looked/sounded like an idiot.

There is a story or two that I could say for each time I have entered a NextByte store.

It's something I would expect from Circuit City (USA) or Dick Smith's Electronics (AU), but not from Apple.

It makes Apple look like dolts when they tell people the wrong things, and later the people find out they were lied to. NOT good for Apple.

Apple, I'd look into it.
Make more of your own stores down here.

They certainly sound like they could do a lot better. Its not like mac-fanatics are hard to find, after all. Hell, I seem to run into one every time I open my iBook in public!

I've found around Melbourne you get a pretty even mix of absolutely wonderful Apple resellers and pitiful examples. On the wonderful side I'd have to mention MyMac Bentleigh - they seem to know what they're on about, keep a current and complete stock of all products, and care about their customers.
Geelong's AppleCentre would also get my stamp of approval.

I won't mention the names of the more pitiful examples ... lets just say they had prime real-estate in melbourne ... who just didn't seem to care when I, as a PC-Unix user, dropped in for a browse. When I asked questions, they didn't even get the most critical ones right. "Can I set it up to run Unix or Linux?" "No."

Yes, Apple Australia needs to check out a few of its resellers just to see if they are misleading customers. Generally, though, I've found most of the dealers here to be truly wonderful.

Back