Next Gen MacBook Pro Rumors?

DirtyCzech

Registered
Any rumors of when we may expect the next series of MacBook Pros to be released? I'm happy with my 15-inch 2.16 gHz, but a friend is concerned that she'll buy one now, but in a couple weeks the newer 15-inch models will be released, with FireWire 800, dual layer burners, etc... I was hesitant to buy one now, but couldn't hold out anylonger.

There's always something faster. If you want to wait, you can get the brand-new MacBook Pros, but factor in AppleCare, because the new models always have some bugs. (about firewire 800.. it comes on the 1ghz powerbook. I got mine for $610..)

It seems likely that the MBP will be updated to use the Core 2 line soon (like the iMac), but that's just a wild guess.

There are really only two times you can buy new hardware: When it's buggy, and when it's obsolete. ;)

Would Core 2 be worth holding out for? Our backgrounds are in the Graphic Arts, mostly 3D (Maya) and the Adobe Creative Suite.

From the initial speed tests not that much differance dual core and the core 2. But have not really been looking at speed differance got my MBP about 4 monthes ago.

I've been waiting since about July for the new MacBook Pros to come out. After hearing about Intel's roadmap and how the current gen MacBook Pros have so many bugs, I figured I'd wait. Now I'm ready to buy the upcoming one; I just hope it comes out soon cause my iMac is becoming unbearable to use.

I would bet that they will release updates to the MacBook before they release them for the MacBook Pro. I don't think the new cases are quite done yet.

Wow, Apple are REALLY slow. Every other manufacturer has their Core 2 Duo laptops out and Apple are still lagging behind. Disappointing.

I'm almost angry here. Seeing so many core 2 duos coming out and where is apple?!?! I was so going to buy a macbook pro when the new one comes out but I doubt I will now. Its taking way too long and intel already anounced a few more chips that I think I would rather wait for.

Not to mention the fact that apple laptops are starting to look expensive.

http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/rdet.jsp?poid=349373&seg=HHO

there and similarly else where, i'm seeing core 2 duos at 2ghz with maxed out 2GB of ram, 200GB HD, a 256MB Graphics card, bluetooth 2.0, dual layer burning, and a 17inch widescreen ---- all for just 1,999.00 which is not bad at all. Its ugly as hell but not bad at all.

Hopefully apple gives us more for the same price or drop the price.

Either way I'm waiting to be amazed by the next Macbook pro which, will probably fail to surprise me. I hope i'm wrong.

Yeah they're getting behind already. It's even worse considering the Core2Duo is pin compatible with CoreDuo and can just replace the chip without redesigning the motherboards. There's the new chipset coming out 2007 for the Core2Duo but it's not needed for now.

There's Dell's(yeah the Dell thing again) with 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 256MB ATI x1600 for about $600 CAD less. I can't find the same one anymore so I think it was a special deal possibly but it was really cheap compared to the MBP.

I'm still all Apple but they seem to be falling behind on notebooks again.

If Apple is planning on releasing a new design and some new bells and whistles, then I'm fine with the delay. But if they end up just dropping in the c2d into the current laptops, then I don't see what's taking so long.

Apple put themselves behind the eight ball when going Intel. They have to stay more or less in lockstep with the Dells of the world. On the other hand, only Apple sells machines that run OS X and Windows and that is a freaking HUGE selling point that will buy them time (a few months at least).

I agree I made this same statment a month ago abou Mac Book price point as being to high and several people on this had a cow, how could I say such a thing it is good to see I am not the only one thinks the prices on Laptops are too high. I think Apple is profit hungery when come to making money on there hardware. That is a big reason alot of people do not swith becuase to the price.

There's Dell's(yeah the Dell thing again) with 2GHz Core2Duo 2GB RAM 256MB ATI x1600 for about $600 CAD less. I can't find the same one anymore so I think it was a special deal possibly but it was really cheap compared to the MBP.

I'm still all Apple but they seem to be falling behind on notebooks again.

I think this comes close to it. Similar specs - 15.4 inch screen, core 2 duo at 2.3 ghz, 2gb of ram, 100 gb hd, and 256MB graphics card.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4321-3121_7-6547289.html?tag=cnetfd.ld3

this time its for 1099. Its in the range of the macbook but i doubt we will get all that, especially 2gb of ram and that clock speed for 1099.

I'm still all apple though thanks to the sturdy design and macosx. I was able to check out a few core 2 duos laptops and desktop today from other manufacturers.

The laptops felt cheaply manufactured - flimsy and plastic like. The desktops with core 2 duo, didn't feel much faster when running regular apps.

However on the new imac i notice a huge improvement in opening regular and professional apps. Each comp i checked out all had 1GB of ram. Also I noticed a shocking speed bumps in the imacs when its 1GB ram compare to 512MB ram. I know ram makes a difference but this was the biggest increase i saw when going from 512Mb to 1GB.

The only ones I would probably look at if I were going with a laptop other than from Apple would be the IBM/Lenovo laptops, especially the ThinkPads (provided they didn't come with the same battery Alan Cox had :p). They are the only ones that look like they are made with quality in mind. They have the same drive-locking mechanism as Apple has (although now that IBM isn't in bed with Apple as much I don't know if this continues to be true), and they also have the spillproof keyboard with the drainage system. And the design is good enough for me....I would say probably second to Apple in design (IMO, of course). And the biometric password recognition is also a nice touch (so to speak :D).

Hm... Let's just hope new MBs and MBPs are just around the corner. I seriously hope Apple's not going to play their old game now. Then again, they'd learn fast, I guess. If they'd really plan to only update the MBs and MBPs in January, they'd lose a lot of sales... With Motorola/Freescale, it was kinda different. There weren't competitors releasing notebooks with newer Moto/FS chips. But now... Come on, Apple. Release them already...

While I totally agree with everyone, and would LOVE to see the new mb(p) released, unfortunetly, I would have to say that apple still holds the competitive advantage in this case (IMO off course). Reason being this: I am a fairly new apple user (just under 1.5 years) who would love the specs that all those other machines have, not to mention the great price on them. However even if I was given a choice (which I just had as I bought my mb), unfortunetly OSX is what FORCED me to chose apple. I'm sorry, but yes the macs look nice, ect. but what keeps me here is the crap that I dont have to deal with in Windows. Its sad to say, but even if they were selling widows based computers for dirt cheap, I would still have to consider paying the extra $ (this coming from a student).

That said, it would be great if the prices for them were the same, as they would have more converts... however, its a typical case of supply and demand. Apple is already at its capacity (as shown with the crazy wait times for a new machine), and its simply a case of our commercial economic system working how Adam Smith dreamed.

That said, it would be great if the prices for them were the same, as they would have more converts... however, its a typical case of supply and demand. Apple is already at its capacity (as shown with the crazy wait times for a new machine), and its simply a case of our commercial economic system working how Adam Smith dreamed.[/QUOTE]

I do not agree with you Apple could have there overseas computer building contactors put out more machines. It just Apple like always slow playing the hardware updates and they charging 30% more same hardware in Wim machines.

I do not agree with you Apple could have there overseas computer building contactors put out more machines. It just Apple like always slow playing the hardware updates and they charging 30% more same hardware in Wim machines.

But didn't the price comparison with the Mac Pro and other show than now Apple machines are around the same price as equivalent spec PCs? I believe the seemingly higher price is just as there baseline specs are higher.

But didn't the price comparison with the Mac Pro and other show than now Apple machines are around the same price as equivalent spec PCs? I believe the seemingly higher price is just as there baseline specs are higher.

For the high-end machine, yes. But not as much with some others. Dell knows that it can tack on a bit more price with it's high-end model, because high-end customers buy it. Of course, at some point you have to add value (to Macs) for the ability to run OS X, and more intelligent hardware design. For example, even after several years to catch up, no desktop design even remotely challenges that of an iMac (G4 or G5).

Sure, you can get a machine that is faster, and less expensive. But it's just a machine, not a Mac. There's more than just looking at hardware specs when buying a computer. Even for PC users, they may be willing to pay a bit more to get a machine from Dell, when they could get the same thing for less from eMachines, simply because Dell has a better track record.

(getting off topic.. oh well)

Back