Next Gen MacBook Pro Rumors?

i wouldn't be able to buy a windows pc now. the fact that you are pretty much forced to use windows is too much of a crippling factor. sure you can rip a movie at 1.7fps faster than the mac book pro, but at what cost? endless headaches.

mac os x is worth about 500mhz in my books.

However even if I was given a choice (which I just had as I bought my mb), unfortunetly OSX is what FORCED me to chose apple. I'm sorry, but yes the macs look nice, ect. but what keeps me here is the crap that I dont have to deal with in Windows. Its sad to say, but even if they were selling widows based computers for dirt cheap, I would still have to consider paying the extra $ (this coming from a student).

Ever heard of linux? Completely free(save on the OS PRICE), completely free software to go with it, and not to mention they are more user friendly linux, in the case of Ubuntu. Infact you can run ubuntu off of a CD just to see what it looks like(live cd). Of course the speed of the OS will be determined by your optical drive which is slower than your hard drive. Nothing is installed on your hard drive everything is from and remains on the cd you burned.

Http://ubuntu.com to find out more and burn a cd(700MB) and try it for yourself. remember to hold down the C key during start up to boot up from the cd.

if Pcs were dirt cheap with crazy specs, and i'm in a tight spot(money, im a student) and i just need a computer to fullfill my needs, I would go linux. In fact I currently am running ubuntu as well as tiger on my powermac g5. I'm planning on running fedora later on to replace ubuntu.

yes but on the whole, you can't run real programs, so it stops relatively quickly.

That depends on what constitutes as a "real program" for you. i use Linux daily on my work laptop (Ubuntu Dapper) and it more than fits my needs, better than Windows that's for sure. GIMP, gThumb, Gaim, OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Flash, Java, Realplayer for Linux, GFTP, Nvu, FCE Ultra (NES emulator), ZSNES (SNES emulator), RealVNC client, SSH client, RhythmBox Audio player, VLC, Totem....the list goes on and on.

Most of these apps I also use on my Mac (with the exception of the GNOME-centric applications). So it really is a subjective matter.

for the creative industry, the choice is mac or windows. which isn't much of a choice.... =/

I understand what you're saying, but that doesn't mean that it can't be done. It's almost the same reasoning for why the Mac isn't in the majority in the corporate environment....that doesn't mean that the Mac can't do it. ;)

c'mon people. you're going to love your hardware either way. everyone here knows exactly how the computer business is run. there will always be something new releasing like every 18 months. if you keep on holding out for the next best gadget, you'll be left holding out forever, and still have your hands empty.
just a word from the wise.

But the difference here is Apple doesn't have Core2Duo while every other manufacturer does. If they're on par with everything else then I don't care.

I hoped the move to Intel would mean Apple would be forced to offer timely hardware revisions. Guess I was wrong. The only difference is that now there's no blaming it on anyone else.

But didn't the price comparison with the Mac Pro and other show than now Apple machines are around the same price as equivalent spec PCs? I believe the seemingly higher price is just as there baseline specs are higher.

No for the base line price of a Mac Book you can get a Win laptop with the specks of a MBP (ie Acer dual core 1.66 ghz, ati 1600 128mb video card and 100gb hard drive just under 1,200 bucks. The MB does no come close to that for 1,200 bucks.

No for the base line price of a Mac Book you can get a Win laptop with the specks of a MBP (ie Acer dual core 1.66 ghz, ati 1600 128mb video card and 100gb hard drive just under 1,200 bucks. The MB does no come close to that for 1,200 bucks.

It's got Front Row though. Plus an iSight. This adds much value.

My problem is i was waiting for the next gen MBP, but now i hear these ultra-portable laptop rumors I am tempted to wait further, though my venerable alubook really is getting close to the end now. Decisions decisions :)

Okay I think apple is definitely cooking something up. You can understand them being late with updating the laptop line but this late? i don't think so.

So my guess is that they are working on something amazing. And when this update rolls along, its going to be more than just an update. Thats just my guess.

I mean the rest of the world(other notebook manufacturers) can fit core 2 duos into a laptop so why can't apple? I'm sure other manufacturers ran into problems but overcame it. So the creative genius that is apple, even with technical problems, could have solved these issues by now. This leaves speculation about the update being more than just an update. After all this is the rumor section of the forum ;). any ideas anyone?

I hope that the upcoming Macbook Pro don't run so hot. Please Apple introduce a non hot laptop. All the new Apple laptops run super hot, so lets see if they fix this soon.

Back