Next generation iPods - When?

Ricky

Registered
Yeah, yeah, I know what you're all thinking, "just buy the iPod now, you'll be happy with it..." :p I don't want to get hosed like the people that bought a 2nd gen right before the 3rd gens came out, though.

I'm betting on this summer's MacWorld. If that's when everyone else thinks it'll be released, I'll go ahead and spring for a 20GB model in a few days.

my first generation iPod arrived 1 day before the 2ng generation ipods where released.
1 day after and at the same price i got my 10 gb ipod, i could buy a 20 gb ipod...
but..it doesnt really matter.. i love my iPod :)

Does anyone actually need more than 40gb just for songs? That's ALOT of music after all...I could see if you use it for other things, but just for music it seems a bit much for the average Joe.

Go for it now man, it'll be at least summer before anything new is put out. I thought about buying one myself, but I think I'm going to spend the money on a 60gb 7200rpm drive for my iBook and also find a 200gb+ firewire ext one too...then hope that the mini is offered in a better color next go round.

im about to run out of space on my 30gb ipod. only 1gb of non-music on there (backup system).... and i could use more space :)

I thinkk the minis are the next gen iPods. I doubt there'll be a gen4 anytime soon. Not until the minis make it international and settle into the market.
The 40gb is a great way to backup files (or to use as a transfer disk).

I had thought about a 40gb one for a backup type device, but I'd fill the thing up with only backups if I did that. I'm down to 10gb on the 40gb drive on the iBook, and still have alot of stuff comming in not to mention a very large database and related files to pop on. Found a WD 160gb external HD with an 8-n-1 card reader for $300 at Circuit City...gonna look around and see if I can find it cheaper or maybe look into if anyone has made the cases/adapters for SATA drives...an 80gb Raptor would be really nice.

Almost bought a silver mini today...trying to decide if I should get that or the smallest regular iPod. I doubt I'd ever have more than 500 or so songs on it, but the regular one could be used to store 'really important' info on it. Still wish they had white as an option on the mini, oh well.

I've just ordered a 40gb iPod... should be here within a couple of days. I'm like a kid at Christmas, can't wait - it's my first iPod!! :) Hope they don't bring out the next generation too soon, but 40gb is enough for me I only have about 18gb of music at the moment and will use it to backup too.

They will probably come out any day now since I just bought a 40GB iPod. ;-)

But you know what - I DON'T CARE - I love it! I've got my iBook busy converting all my CDs and it is clear they won't all fit, but then I haven't been selective yet on what songs are keepers. I must admit that it would be nice to pick up a G5 to convert the CDs faster but that isn't in the budget right now.

Back