Next iApp?

alright, i am writing this, but i could be dictating it. If you ever want to catch me using my Via Voice then watch for when all my sentence beginnings and 'i's' are capitolized. :D

It really works very well - at least the latest osx version. previous attempts were horrible. I know there are a few other members of the site who use it as well. I just get tired of wearing the headphone/mic. somewhere around here there should be some threads from when i was training it. If Phil or Herve are around, they can vouch for its steady improvement. while its not perfect, i think probably mispell and make corections as often, if not more, when i type than when i dictate. so that equals out. and it does have nice list of commands for choosing text, copying, pasting, all that as well. It works with any text app, some better thanothers, or has its own that can then be cut and pasted to another app for higher level formatting. perhaps i will fire it up sometime soon and let you see.

as for context specific spellings like red and read. it does these pretty well, getting them write (my pun:p ) about 90% or more of the time.

but do i think apple will make their own? NO!! and partly because it is an IBM product, and apple and ibm seem to be pretty good friends these days. ibm has put alot into this i have heard. the only way apple would cut their throat would be if ibm wanted to sell the technology out to them. at least that's my belief.

okay, this might sound strange for the american people, but there are a *lot* of languages being spoken and written around the world. many languages have very different problems in being recognised by a computer. and while it would be cool to be able to talk to your computer 'just like in star trek', it will take a lot of time to make them able to listen to more than just english.

iListen 1.0 (but i don't understand you?)

I think it's about time for iMove 3. It's been over a year since 2 came out on the iMac DV SE (I think...).

Even though iMovie doesn't exactly have any competition, it would be nice for Apple to give us a new version with maybe:
  • Real-Time effects for G4's (be great on an iMac)
  • More control over text / text placement
  • More filters and transitions
  • More control over how you output the movie

I'm sure Apple can think of some better stuff ... but I'd definately like to see a new iMovie at MWNY.

i would like some sort of interactivity features thrown in iMovie... maybe support for Quicktime LiveSprites and simple click abilities.

To raise a mild argument:
Your argument is circular: Speech recognition accuracy is horrible, so it is not feasible.
I said that the last time I checked, the accuracy was so bad (75% reliability) that it wasn't feasible. Obviously that's not the case now (90-97% reliability).

So I sit corrected. :)

Originally posted by themacko
Even though iMovie doesn't exactly have any competition, it would be nice for Apple to give us a new version with maybe:
[/B]

What about Windows Movie Maker?

I think speech recognition is an interesting concept, and no doubt that in the future it'll be an established alternative for computer human interaction.

However, I LIKE typing as a way of inputting text. The truth is that I revise my writing a lot. And it'll just be too combersome to state: "Blah, blah, blah, *delete*, *delete*, blah..." all the time. Typing allows me to change my mind and change my input quickly. Let's face it, how many of us actually spew perfect prose? I see voice input useful as a navigatory tool though, I can see interfaces that are voice enabled to be tremendously helpful - great for multitasking. Imagining working on writing a long document, but telling the computer to complete some backgound task via voice. You'll never need to stop doing your foreground task, or mouse click anywhere - awesome.

Also, I don't think voice recognition would be good in an office environment - too much noise pollution - especially considering that dedicated offices are getting more and more rare. Most people have open offices and cubicles now - I don't want to hear my coworkers dictating. Besides, how can I IM discreetly?! ;)

well first, let me just say that I HATE typing. hence, i paid the big bucks for ViaVoice. :D

as far as offices and noise, you may or may not have a point there. one of the first things you do is adjust the background noise level. I work in a quiet room by myself so i can't say from experience, but they were able to pretty successfully demonstrate it on the floor at MWSF and that was a lot noiser than an office cubicle. And people were even shouting out questions about it.

I have noticed that my own voicelevel and speech rythms vary. and this throws it off sometimes. Amazingly enough, it often does a better job when i speak quickly than when i go slow. must be the way i have it trained. there are certain words that i tend to 'mispronounce' at times that it will do correctly if i take and enuciate a particular way - like emphasizing the vowel more.

there isn't a reason though that apple couldn't implement the complete speakable commands like the phat man said. that would be nice to have them built in to the system.

Back