Next iMac update to be G5!?

jobsen_ski

Daily Player
Reported on Mac Rumors this morning -

Despite the seeming lull in product releases in the past few months, according to sources, Apple has been hard at work on upcoming releases...

Most specifically, sources report that a PowerPC G5 based iMac is in the works and should represent the next iMac revision.

As with many of Apple's revisions, sources are unable to provide a specific timeframe for release, but iMacs are due for a revision. The iMac was last updated in November 2003.

WWDC????? :p hopefully! but I love the way the G4 looks right now I hope they keep the G4 avalible for a while - at reduced prices! :D but I'm sure the G5 will look even better than the G4 as the G4 did the G3!

so when do you think it will be released??? :confused:

Not going to happen we will see a faster G4 before we'll see a G5 chip in there. Probably looking at sometime early next year though. They should have a nice upgrade in the next 1 to 3 months though. I think we'll see a lot more work play difference emerge. As with pvr/home entertainment coming to the imac first. No computer company has a more distinct line between pro and consumer, it's just that are consumer lags behind most everyone elses. Our pro lines can definetly play with the big boys but if I were to guess most computer sales are at 1299 and below where most profits are acheived at 1699 and above.

Another iMac G4 upgrade won't do much good to iMac sales right now. Something new is definitely needed. However, afaik, Apple's going to wait for the next gen' G5 for the 'smaller' Macs, i.e. iMac/eMac/PowerBook - also to get the new PowerMacs (at WWDC) more spotlight.

I didn't think apple would be putting a G5 in the iMac so soon, I expected speed bumps son after the emac and ibook/powerbook update but thats been three weeks now and the imac specs aren't worth it (nearly double the cost of the emac) just for and LCD! I'm surprised they're selling any with the emac reduced in price and on a par with specs!

I will go out on a limb with this one and say iMacs will go G5 rather than have speed bumped G4's. The iMac doesn't fit in with the rest of Apples product line and looks rather uncomfortable as a G4.

I don't think we'll have an iMac G5 before we get the Powerbook G5, personally.
Also, the G3 iBooks are still available cheaply, so, whoever asked, I think the iMac G4s will remain around even if we *do* get the G5 imac.

I am agree with Dlloyd. Currently the Pro line-up is a bit of a mess...

The PowerMac is pretty awesome, but its portable counter-part doesn't really emphasize the mobile power of its, Pro, big brother. IMO the PowerBook, in terms of power lies awkwardly between the Pro and Consumer level. Currently the so called consumer level computers are closer to the PowerBook, than the PowerBook is to the PowerMac. This isn't right, and I think will be the first thing Apple will look to fix, the PowerMac and PowerBook's need to be a damn sight closer in performance, and notably faster than any of its consumer levelled machine...

iMac's? Like somebody said, the iMac sales aren't going to increase with a small speed bump. The next revision needs to be big, and in light of recent Apple product announcements, i'd assume there is some major work going down... :)

What kind of shape would a G5 iMac have? The cooling issues would have to be addressed. A speed-bumped G4 would fit the niche for many.

Better make it pretty severely speed bumped then. Like several hundred MHz. And I thought the G4s weren't scaled that far yet...

dlloyd said:
Better make it pretty severely speed bumped then. Like several hundred MHz. And I thought the G4s weren't scaled that far yet...

Ye the highest is 1.5Ghz (in the 17' powerbook)
The current imac's are 15' 1Ghz 17' 1.25Ghz 20' 1.25Ghz
I would like to see the iMac go a few hundred MHz faster too. Like the minimum beeing 1.5GHz BUT then we would realy have a problem because they would "out do" the power books! so we would also have to have powerbbok revisions if that was to happen! so that all the powerbooks were about say 1.8Ghz! which I dont think is going to happen anytime soon because they were just updated!

jobsen_ski said:
BUT then we would realy have a problem because they would "out do" the power books! so we would also have to have powerbbok revisions if that was to happen! so that all the powerbooks were about say 1.8Ghz! which I dont think is going to happen anytime soon because they were just updated!

Thats not quite such a problem.. The PowerBook is already languishing really, and will remain so as long as its running as part of the G4 family. With the iMac being a desktop too, it wouldn't be so bad, IMO PowerBooks REALLY need a G5 cpu badly, to re-distinguish themselves from the consumer lineup, until then, Apple are, probably, purposely crippling the consumer line, to do just what you mentioned, not allow them to 'out do' the PowerBook.

If they don't do something soon, the iMacs are gonna drop off the market. To the Mac lover, there may be a slight value in one (g4)...but to the average consumer there isn't much of one anymore, especially when for half the price you can get a much faster system from competitors.

The iMac and PB are different classes of computer, and having the iMac equal or slightly out do the PB in speed of processor isn't a huge thing. I doubt seriously anyone would lug an iMac around in their briefcase after all.

1.8 or 2.0 ghz 90nm G5 iMacs would be a great thing to see in June/July, along with the 3ghz Powermacs of course. :)

Back