Nice site but can anyone say Apple Rip-Off?

This is clearly another hoax. Albeit, perhaps the most ellaborate one I've seen yet. And, man, have there been some doozies.

The funniest part is, wait a second.. just came across this:

http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2003/09/25/liebermann/index.php?redirect=1064738389000

I don't know what to think now. If nothing else, they quite literally stole the site from Apple, as there is actual HTML they forgot to remove:

* Please refer to Apple's Tech Support for full compatibility information with your specific Power Mac G4 or G5 machine.
Power Mac G4 and G5 are registered trademarks of Apple Computer Inc.
Visit www.apple.com for complete information and great products.
Product specifications are subject to change without notice.
(1) See warranty information for full details.

Apple computers ar enot mentioned anywhere on that page other than the disclaimer.

Also, I actually tried to place an order. No can do in Safari or IE.

I'm still gonna say this is a hoax. The best one yet. Either way, they have clearly and literally copied Apple's site as a template.

There are tons of subtle clues as to why this is a fake. Some of them had me flat out laughing, but this page is one official analysis:

http://plex.us/outbursts/liebermann.html

I haven't seen it on macosx.com and the other people in this thread haven't either, so..

Somebody posted it here a couple weeks ago. It died so fast because it was fake. And SpyMac.com has been talking about it for at least a month now. :)

Unix X11 made a thread about this. topic CLOSED! DAMNIT! i cant close the topic, im not a mod. :) that makes me happier.

RPS, I know you're getting some flack for this, but I'm glad you posted it, cuz I hadn't seen it yet. Just because one group of people has seen something is no reason to consider a topic dead or unworthy of posting. Apparently many others hadn't seen it yet either given the dates that the analysis site was using and other references.

I'm just glad I properly called it a fake before I even knew the details. Man, it's a doozy. I commend them for their thoroughness.

I enjoy these web hoaxes. I wish I had the time to pull one off.

UNIX X11 (a.k.a. Cow) posted about this in the thread called "Sniff..." some time ago. The title of the thread may have made you skip over it.

Back