Nikon5700 camera to iMac G4

mykelee

Registered
Can anyone help me download pictures to my new iMac.

I have recently purchased a iMac G4 (moving away from a PC at home!).
However this means I need to check if my Nikon 5700 camera (I purchased mid 2002) will work with the iMac. No problems hooking up to a PC.

After plugging in the Camera to the iMac USB port, I thought either the OS X or the iPhoto would see it. But nothing happens. I checked using a utiity from the Apple pulldown menu "About This Mac" and see that the USB is hooked up to a Nikon 5700.

1) I tried the iPhoto, but the Export does not see a Camera.
I think there was a Capture application I started and that said no Capture device selected.

2) I also tried loading the Nikon View 5.1 software for the Mac OS X. Again the button to Transfer is greyed out, so it does not see a camera

So is there somewhere in the Mac or OS X I am suppose to tell it I have a camera as a Capture device?

Many Thanks

Myke

it is a mac os x supported model.

when you plug the camera in, did you switch it on? mac itself can't switch it on from usb, sso you need to switch it on.

I have the Nikon 5000 and it works with my iPhoto. After connecting your camera to computer and turning it on, does OS X recognize it by placing a drive (white icon) on your desktop?

also, does your camera have a viewing and photo taking mode? Does it work on viewing mode while on?

maybe, have you checked that you have a compact flash card in the camera
while doing this? do you have a compact flash card reader to separately view the contents to make sure it's not the card that's corrupt?

Fuzz

The Nikon 5700 came with a CD for both PC and OS X.
On my PC I normally just turn on the camera (regardless of VIew or Picture mode) and a drive appears.

I definately have the compact flash in it and it works fine on the PC.

Basically I was wondering:
1) SHould I download the latest Nikon View (I current use v5.1) and where do I get this?
2) Does Nikon View software have anything to do with this anyway. I thought the iMac would happily hook up with the 5700 without any software.

Thanks

Michael

Plug the camera in, then open Image Capture from your applications folder and see if the camera shows. If it does, go to the Preferences under the Image Capture Menu and select iPhoto or whatever you want to open when the camera is plugged in. The 5700 is compatible with iPhoto and shouldn't need any additional software installed for it to be recognized.

mykelee said:
Fuzz

The Nikon 5700 came with a CD for both PC and OS X.
On my PC I normally just turn on the camera (regardless of VIew or Picture mode) and a drive appears.

I definately have the compact flash in it and it works fine on the PC.

Basically I was wondering:
1) SHould I download the latest Nikon View (I current use v5.1) and where do I get this?
2) Does Nikon View software have anything to do with this anyway. I thought the iMac would happily hook up with the 5700 without any software.

Thanks

Michael

You don't need Nikon View 5.1 to use the camera. I use iPhoto too. If you want to get an update of Nikon View, have you looked in versiontracker.com or nikon.com's support page? Sorry I don't have any new suggestions.

OK so its for sure Nikon View and iPhoto will work independent of each other.

So going back to iPhoto and my Mac, what else can I check.

1) 5700 is switched on
2) USB Cable plugged in
3) Compact Flash inside (1Gb - any problems for my Mac? Camera works fine with 1Gb)

Should I hear a sound or see iPhoto pop up?
Any Preference settings in OS X I need to set?

Many Thanks

MIchael

OK, me and my partner have just recently purchased a Coolpix 4300 and we're using Nikon View 6.0.1. In the Quick Start Guide that came with the camera there is a special note for OSX users to open Image Capture and select Preferences and in the "Camera Preferences" area select "No application" from the "When a camera is connected..." menu. I'm not sure if this will help (unless it resolves some conflict) but hopefully it does. The transfer button should be active in Nikon View when every thing is go. Haven't yet tried in iPhoto. Good luck.

mykelee said:
I tried the iPhoto, but the Export does not see a Camera.
You import images from a device, the camera in this case, and export them to various file formats. Export won't see the camera because that is not what exporting is: you don't export from the camera to the computer, you import.

OK I figured it all out with some help. The problem is totally unrelated to the Camera etc. I had other problems with my new Mac where NO DMG files would install. Funny enough someone spotted a bug in the OSX v10.3.1 and suggested a reinstall 10.3.1 which cured that problem and also this.

Thanks

Michael

Back