Nisus Writer Express coming... (aka Okito)

Using it right now... It's quite a solid release, and feature wise, looks to have everything I would need in a Word Processor... My one complain (so far in limited testing) is it's MS Word compatability... It opened my Word v. X files OK, but the formatting was all wrong. Hopefully this is one of the areas they will continue to work on during the beta period.

Another area that it seems to be lacking in is templates. Maybe these aren't included in the beta but slated for the final release... But part of the lure of Word for casual users (like my wife), is the ability to use a template for certain types of docs, and quickly change to fit their needs. No reason to reinvent the wheel for fax cover sheets and other common docs...

But, I'm pretty impressed so far. With this and a soon to be released new version of AppleWorks (or AppleOffice), our choices have just doubled!

Go it now... nice... but can't really see where all the time went in moving it on from Okito Composer.

Still will hopefully be good enough to become my main WP.

From Okito to this, several key Nisus technologies have been put in. I think Nisus did the right thing to take on Okito Composer as a basis for their new app.

Also: MS Word compatibility has been included, which Composer still lacked...

Nisus Writer Express is probably the best example of how to best use a side drawer in an interface. I quite like it!

Yep. It's as if they had looked at MS Office and said to themselves: "Hasn't Apple got something for something like that?" And then done it right. ;-)

I would agree. The tooldrawer is extremely flexible and easy to use on my 12" PB screen. The drop down menu, the ability to make a new palette drawer and the ease of "tearing off" a pallette and letting it float is very nice.

In the earlier sneak peeks they had screen shots of a new find feature that did not appear to make it in this beta. I am glad they finally put it out however. Seems like a long time that they took over Okito.

Back