No Access to Hard drive...HUGE mistake

kanecorp

Registered
While playing around in the file sharing settings in Leopard, I didn't realize that the permissions I was changing (for what I thought was just network access), was in fact access to the hard drive in general. Long story short I have no access to my hard drive, no root access, no user access, nothing.

I am desperate to get access back. I tried to repair permissions with the leopard install disk and I tried a long shot of trying to upgrade the OS with the leopard install DVD in hopes it would repair everything but I get a Install failed message right away.

If anyone could help me out...I assume this can only be solved with some terminal knowledge, and thats really where I'm lacking.

I'm begging anyone out there...

Thanks.

Well no one responded but I seemed to have fixed it. I target disk'd it to another mac...and changed the permissions through the 2nd mac.
Seems to all be set now.

Another reason why Mac is good since you just target disk and repair the permission, simple step

If that happen in Window.... good luck dealing with it. i remember i did screw up one of the config in system, i was curious with it and make sure it go back to the right setting, but it seem i miss one and screw up the booting because one of the .sys file went missing. Using XP cd didnt help to repair, even reinstall (Archive and Install), not clean install. so the last resort is to wipe it clean and start again, finally it back to normal but my saved data is missing.

So lesson learned, dont EVEN fked with the system config in Window, it cause me too much pain and i already have a emotional scar from it :)

Back