"no Airport card installed"

gphillipk

Registered
I was able to connect to our office wireless network w'out issue till we had a power cut. Next day all other computers in the office can connect to the network except mine. My Airport card could pick up other wireless networks in the building except ours. I simply got "there was an error joining network". So I set about diagnosing the problem. Quick trip to the Apple service provider established my card was fine. Next I deleted the saved network login parameters in keychain and the relevant plists all to no avail. Then I found an article on MacFixIt that advised moving the kernel extension files - AppleAirport2.kext and AppleAirportFW.kext - out of the extensions folder. I made a mistake here and moved the whole AppleAirport.kext file to the desktop then restarted the machine. I re-read the instructions after getting the message "No AirPort card installed" so I moved AppleAirport.kext back into the extensions folder and repaired permissions. Ownership of the erroneously moved file was restored to user 0, but I still get "no airport card...." message after restarting.
Laptop's info in sig.
What else could I try?

Right, I've corrected part of the problem. I downloaded the latest airport software and security updates. That sorted out the airport card not being detected. However I still cannot join the office network - I still get "there was an error..." Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Back