No CD burning in Finder

jimigoldn

Registered
I have an iMac 700 mhz running Panther 10.3.9. In the past I've used the CD burner app to burn music and data (mostly .psd) files. It's worked fine for past 8 to 9 months.

Now, when I try to burn a blank CDR or CD-RW, I get the dialogue box that asks if you want to burn in the Finder or iTunes, etc. When I choose the Finder and click "ok" nothing happens... that is the CD icon never appears on the desktop like it used to.

Here's what I've tried:

Using Maxell "music" CDRs/ 32X. These have worked for data and music in the past 6 months no problem.... I'm using CDs out of the same carton. I can burn a music CDR in iTunes but when I choose "Finder" in the dialogue box and press "ok" the CDR never shows on the desktop.

So, I downloaded a copy of BurnX. Now, using the same Maxell/32X "music" CDRs I can burn data using BurnX and music using iTunes....but no luck getting a CDR icon in the Finder.

Tried burning some TDK/52X data CDRs. I was able to burn data using BurnX and music using iTunes...but no luck getting an CDR icon in the Finder in OSX with these either.

Tried burning Memorex CD-RW/24X media. Gets error messages using OSX and BurnX.

Questions:

1) Why doesn't a blank CDR, or CDRW icon appear on the desk top?

2) Are there incompatibilities in some of the 10.3 updates anyone knows about that could cause this behavior?

3) Are there certain brands of CDRs and CDRWs that my model iMac (700MHZ G4) likes and no likes?

3) Could it be a prefs file conflict? Which pref files should I be looking at to check?

Thanks

Try this: while in the finder hold down the apple key and press comma. This should bring up the finder preferences. Under the General sub-menu you should be able to see a list of items that can be enable or disabled to show on the desktop.

Thanks 64 bit....I checked the box you suggested. CDs are selected to show up on the desktop. Audio CDs and data CDs that I have created before this show up on the desktop now....but blank CD media does not show up in Finder...

Back