No-classic spreadsheet?

Michael_Aos

Registered
I've managed to avoid installing the "classic" (MacOS 9.1) environment so far, and I'd like to keep it that way.

Are there ANY spreadsheet programs (text-based Unix apps OK) available for a MacOS X-only machine?

Thanks,

Mike

Originally posted by davidbrit2
Well, you can use Appleworks 6, or this other spreadsheet called Mesa.
http://www.plsys.co.uk/products/mesa/mesa.html
I haven't tried that one much, so I'm not sure if it's any good.

I saw Mesa. It's a commercial product -- sounds expensive, but haven't actually looked.

I thought AppleWorks 6 required MacOS 9 / Classic? If you're absolutely sure it will work fine on a MacOS X-only box, I'll go ahead and buy it.

Mike

I've got Appleworks 6 running on my OS X machine, and I just did a very large mail merge with it not too long ago. If you've got high speed internet access, you can buy it from Apple and download it immediately. There are some bugs, though. It crashes when I try to make a new presentation and no other presentations are open, and there was some dialog box that doesn't do anything. Other than those, it seems to work well.

I've attached a screenshot if you want to see it in action.

Attachments

• appleworks.jpg
    appleworks.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 10
Originally posted by davidbrit2
I've got Appleworks 6 running on my OS X machine.

Nope, DSL is no more (can't get it in my new apartment).

I see you do have Classic INSTALLED. My impression is that this is required to install AppleWorks 6.x.

Is this not the case? I don't have anything but MacOS X on this box, and I'd prefer to keep it that way.

If I can install the MacOS X AppleWorks preview w/out installing MacOS 9.x first, I'll just run down to CompUSA and buy it.

I have to be sure though, because they don't do returns!

Mike

It looks like the download version that I have includes a Classic installer. I have no idea what the CD version uses, though.

Back