No Desktop In Os X

majorpowell

Registered
This is a dual g4 with the intermittent problem of after sleeping (although sometimes after restarting) of having no desktop. The machine chimes, splash screens come on, but then no desk top. I am running tiger. It will boot from the disk, or boot from OS 9, but will not bring up anything but a blue screen in OS 10. I have had a mac service provider work on it & they could not find the problem. Reinstall of the system only fixes the problem temporarily. I hope you can help...

Hello,

I went over to the Apple Knowledge Base and found a page that has information that might help you. Just below the first two paragraphs you will see in blue text:
"empty, blue screen" ... that is a link. Click that and it will take you to trouble-shooting tips that might help. Apparenly a damaged OS 9 font file can cause the problem when you boot into OS X. Also, when you post, please indicate exactly which Mac OS X. Jaguar, Panther, Tiger... to find this information, go to the top of your desktop in the menu. Left side you will see the Apple logo. Click on that and click where it says, "About This Mac"... Just under where it says: Mac OS X will be the version number. That helps us fine tune trouble shooting for you. :)
Mac OS X reviews fonts in the Mac OS 9 System Folder as it starts up. A damaged Mac OS 9 font file can cause this issue.

Tip: Install Mac OS X 10.2.4 or later to avoid this issue.

Start up from your Mac OS 9 System Folder or a Mac OS 9 CD-ROM disc. If your computer only starts from Mac OS X, start up in Safe Mode.
Drag the Fonts folder from the Mac OS 9 System Folder (not the Mac OS X System folder) to the desktop.
Restart the computer in Mac OS X.

Remove incompatible third-party startup items.
Start up from your Mac OS 9 System Folder or a Mac OS 9 CD-ROM disc. If your computer only starts from Mac OS X, start up in Safe Mode.
Open the Mac OS X hard disk.
Drag third-party items out of the /Library/StartupItems and /System/Library/StartupItems folders. You may wish to temporarily store them in the Mac OS X Users folder. If you're unsure whether an item is a third-party item or an Apple-installed item, don't move it.
Restart the computer in Mac OS X.

An incompatible login item could cause this symptom.
For Mac OS X 10.2 or later, start up in Safe Mode.
From the Apple menu, choose System Preferences.
From the View menu, choose Accounts then click Startup Items. In Mac OS X 10.2, choose Login Items from the View menu.
Select all the login items and click Remove.
From the Apple menu, choose Restart.
If this resolves the issue, add the login items one at a time until the symptom occurs again. That way you'll know which one is incompatible. Repeat these steps and remove the incompatible item.

Hope this helps!
Carolyn :)

Back