No graphics macosx.com version?

scruffy

Notorious Olive Counter
Would it be possible to have a no-graphics, or at least barely-any-graphics version of this site? Or am I the only one who would like something like this?

The images take a long time to load, and make the text jump all over the screen until they're finished. It's hard to click on links till they finally sit still.

I know I often am done reading a page well before it's finished loading - even if I open it, read something else for a bit, then come back to the page a short while later. And I have an ADSL line, so I would imagine it's even worse for modem users. Then it's the "can you hit the next page link before it jumps out from under the cursor" game.

The forums at Mac OS X Hints don't use avatars and use very few other images. It also has a substantially better category breakdown (the moderators apparently know the difference between Darwin & Linux). Of course, it lacks the always engaging discussions of posts counts and perpetual anti-windows defensiveness.

I use iCab, and filter all images in the www.macosx.com/forums/images domain. Still, not an ideal solution...

As a compromise, how about just adding height and width to img tags, so that browsers can pre-render pages and not have things subsequently jump all over the place as the actuall binaries show up?

Admiral - have you looked at this site in lynx? Not a pretty thing to behold!

Well, considering the ONLY graphic I added is the TOP graphic, the rest are part of the forum software, you should contact the developers at VB and let them know they should have such distinction in their software for height/width settings, no graphics versions etc.

I take offense to that Linux/Darwin comment.

Admin

Back