no... i am not crazy

Nummi

happy (again)
I realy realy realy want the 10.1 update. But... long story short, my DVD player died... I bought a new cd-rom... for some reason, I cannot boot off of it, so no upgrade. Here is my stupid question:
is there a way I can trick my G4 into thinking one of my partitions is a cd-drive? If I can trick it... I would put all of the 10.1 update files on it, and boot off of the partition. I did try putting all of the files onto a partition, but the installer wanted the cd.
Or... if someone has a better idea, please tell me :)

Others have tried, but failed. Some may have actually succeeded, but I am not aware of any. You must boot from the CD, AFAIK

I haven't tried this, but I expect it might work:

Copy all the contents of the OS X update CD or whatever CD you need to boot off of to the blank partition. Then, go to the Startup Disk control panel, and select that partition as the boot partition. That's all that the installer application does.

Hopefully that'll work for you.

Heheh, I've described this soooo many times before, but, OK:
Get the application called Apple Software Restore (I think you can find it on an OS 9 CD or a restore CD), copy it to your harddrive, make sure you have a free partition that you can put the CD on, then simply drag the CD icon onto The ASR icon and do the setup. Yes, correct, you have to do all this in OS 9. Good luck! :D

I believe that Unsupported Utility X 2.0 will allow you to do the same as the Apple Restore method. As long as the Cd has the proper files needed to boot; place those files on the hard drive and run UUX. UUX will ask which device to boot from and will allow you to boot from the hard drive if the mach_kernal is present. I have been playing around with UUX on my old 9600/233 to see if I can get 10.1 running on it. It's a wonder little application.:)

Unsupported Utility X does work with a hard drive version of the install CD, but the only way to make the hard drive functions correctly as the install CD is to use the Apple Software Restore method described by ksv. I've tried copying all the files across in the OS 9 Finder and renaming the partition, but this doesn't work. The Apple Software Restore application may be on the OS 9 CD somewhere, but the easiest place to find it is System Folder/Application Support/Software Update/
For anyone installing OS X on a PowerSurge Mac with additional third party hard drives, it's best to use the original Apple branded HD as the OS X disk, as the firmware in some third party drives will not allow OS X to start from them. My 8600 wouldn't even power up the monitor until I transfered OS X to the Apple HD. Also, avoid starting up in OS X with a CD in the drive of your PowerSurge as this can interfere with your monitor's settings.

Back