no internet connection running software updates

julia123

Registered
Hi - Im running Mac OSX 10.4.2 on XServe G5. I can connect to all computers on the internal network but when I try to connect outside of this network, I get an error "no internet connection" For example, if I try to run software updates from the command line, I get the "no internet connection" error. I can ping localhost, the router, and dns server successfully...cant ping outside the internal network however. All other computers can connect without a problem. The firewall is set to allow all traffic. Any ideas on what is going on? Also, the internal network is a number of Windows/Linux PC's, 1 powerbook, and the Xserve. Thanks!

Maybe you should check your gateway and/or dns setting for the outside world.

These settings are not used (in general) for local networks usage.

Good luck, Kees

Do you connect to the internet via a proxey server, if so that will need to be set in the network preferences before you can get to the outside world.

Do you connect to the internet via a proxey server, if so that will need to be set in the network preferences before you can get to the outside world.

In general it is not necessary to setup a proxy server if available. But make sure no proxy is specified, while no proxy server is available, otherwise internet access is odd.

Good luck, Kees

Seems to me that the problem is probably outside the Xserve's settings, since you can ping everything fine. I would check all computers in between the Xserve and the Internet to see if their settings are correct. That said, the Powerbook seems to be your only indication that any Mac can connect out - have you compared its settings with the Xserve's?

When you say "The firewall is set to allow all traffic", do you mean the OS X Server's firewall, or the network firewall? If there's a network firewall it may be getting in the way somehow, hard to cite specifically without more info.

Is DHCP handing out all the necessary info for the Xserve to get outside? By this I mean the router/gateway address, primarily.

That's all I can think of right now. More info on your Internet connection method vis a vis the entire network would be helpful...

Back