No Intl English in Germany????

LordCoven

Registered
OK - this SUCKS! I just called the Apple Store in Germany, and the very unpleasant lady on the other end of the line told me that I couldn't order 10.3 in Intl. English from them. ?????? I've bought two systems in Intl. English from them and also 10.2 in that variant. DAMN IT! I've sent an email to the store and asked - perhaps she was new and didn't know where to look! I bleedin' well hope so!
C

Are you talking about the manuals? Because OS X is multi-language anyway... No problem using it in English afaik.

So you're saying that if I buy the German version of OS X 10.3, it'll install in English if I want it to? I can't remember seeing a similar option in OS X 10.2 ...
C

Hehehe - well, just got an eMail from the store and they say I CAN buy it in Intl English and gave me the phone number of a guy at the store who'll sort it for me - he's having lunch right now, but I'll be ordering my copy later.
Still, good to know that I'd have been able to install it in English with a German copy - thanks for the feedback guys :)
I'd have probably gotten it from Amazon if the store hadn't been able to sell me an English copy ...
C

Well, the really only difference between Intl. English and German versions of OS X is the packaging and manuals' language (not much, anyway). You can install any number of the provided languages and have each user of the machine use a different language, if you want to. One of the best features of OS X in my opinion. Sadly, many large software makers don't make use of this. It'd be _so_ easy for them to release one version that fits all... I think it would also lower production costs...

You're right - it is a shame that other SW vendors don't internationalise as well as Apple do. For example, I *love* that I can enter all the Umlaute and all other international symbos in *any* application on OS X using the <alt>-u <letter> combination (and other <alt> combinations for the other characters). Its a shining example of Apple's attention to detail :)
Cheers,
C

My friend bought his OS 10.2 in Japan and installed it in English - Don't worry, 10.0 and anything later than that (including 10.3) - YOU choose what languages you want, and what you want for installation! The OS X cds are the same everywhere but in Japan (if you install 10.2 from Japanese CDs, the window name bars remain sometimes with japanese texts ... ) (not the finder menus, just the title of the windows in finder)

So you can call that lady and tell her that it does not matter. I had Italian OS X cds and I isntalled it at least once so that the system main languages was English. Lord Coven, just get the version they are selling - you can choose to install even ONLY Intl' English to your system if you want! :)

Back