no keychain password

spb

Registered
Hi,

I'm now being prompted for a keychain password everytime that the system wants to use the keychain. I don't know that I have a password.

Was I suppoed to set a keychain password when I first began using this system?

I just installed "Security Update 2005-001" today. Is there a bug with the update?

Thanks,
sb

You can maybe set things the way you want in Keychain Access? (Unless you really don't remember the password, that is...)

Tommo said:
Have you changed your password recently ? If so try using the old one.

I've had this Mac for two months and never even knew that there was a need to set a keychain password. (This is my first Macintosh.)

fryke said:
You can maybe set things the way you want in Keychain Access? (Unless you really don't remember the password, that is...)

This is my last resort. I was hoping that someone here had seen this problem before. I'm guessing that many people run their Mac with no keychain password. This lastest Security Update apparently forbids this.

Curious, I do have a password for mine but it is the same as for my login and I am not prompted for it. One thing is that after an application is updated, including the libraries it uses it will need to be reauthorized. So is it that mail for instance wanted you to authorize more than one or that each of mail and safari and so on asked you to authorize.

have you checked if in your keychain.app (located in the applications/utilities folder) the keychain for your account is locked? If you don't know the password for it (BTW: is there a default password, that comes with new computers?), I remember an old post here in which someone wrote that if you reset the password from the os x install cd, the new one would be applied also for the keychain... so, spb, if you are encountering problem with your keychain, you can reset the password for your account, and the new one would be applied also for your keychain... then, if you don't want to enter it whenever you're asked, you can unlock...

The Keychain password is - initially - the same as your OS X login password.

Note that, even if you have OS X logging in automatically (i.e. you never see the login screen) you still have a login password.

If you have recently changed your login password, the keychain password may still be your OLD login password. Try it.

If that works, you should be able to go into Keychain Access and change your keychain password to equal your new login password.

The keychain password is usually the same as your login password. I keep my keychain unlocked and it hardly ever bothers me. Use keychain access to change settings for this.

brianleahy said:
The Keychain password is - initially - the same as your OS X login password.

Ah, that's it! I changed my login password! The original --login-- password is the keychain password.

Thank you everyone for your comments.

--
sb

Back