no "make/gnumake/bsdmake"??

tommyxy

Registered
i'm on Darwin Mac OS X Kernel 5.3

i can't seem to find "make" anywhere...anyone know where "make" is?

i looked in /usr/sbin AND /usr/bin

i also looked for "gnumake" and "bsdmake" in those directories, but nothing came up.

anyone know where i can find/get "make"???

thanks!

you have to install the developer tools. they came with the OS if you bought it retail. else you can download it from apple website

Also, to find executables you know are on the system (and are in the path) you can use which foo to see where it lives.

For other non-executables, or files not in your path, use locate.

man locate and man which are useful things to look at, too.

which make
which gnumake
which gmake
which bsdmake

are all returning "can't be found"

same with

locate make
locate gnumake
locate gmake
locate bsdmake

so i guess they need to be installed from the Developer Tools CD

You don't need to pay for it -- to download from Apple, you do have to register with the ADC (Apple Developer Connection) -- but that's free.

You can pay for the CD (US$19.95 IIRC) or download it for free, but the download is 220MB or so. I downloaded the tools, but it took a while on my 56K modem...

Which operating system are you using? Darwin would bea version 1.x, Mac OS X would be a 10.x.x, the only operating system that had a version 5.3 that Apple put out was Mac OS X Server 1.0 (which was Rhapsody 5.3).

Can you tell us where you got the version number from?

RacerX, do a hostinfo, and you will see that Darwin in 10.1.4 is up to 5.4. this is a surprise to me too. am i to believe that since OSX 10.0.0, the corresponding darwin releases went from 1.4.1 to 5.4?

but there it is.

Wow, I guess I had never thought to look before. Here is what I get on my systems using uname -a:

Mac OS X v10.1.3:
Darwin Euclid 5.3 Darwin Kernel Version 5.3: .../RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Mac OS X Server 1.2:
Rhapsody Milnor 5.6 Kernel Release 5.6:.../RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh

Rhapsody Developer Release 2:
Rhapsody Riemann 5.1 Rhapsody Operating System Release 5.1:.../RELEASE_I386 i386

and

Rhapsody Feynman 5.1 Rhapsody Operating System Release 5.1:.../RELEASE_I386 i386

perhaps we can explain the behavior this way. tell me what you think racerx.

the darwin kernel has been changing numbers since early Rahpsody/ maybe even OPENSTEP days. it had different codenames (ie, not darwin, but feynmann, milnor, euclid, riemann), but its version number has been increasing steadily.

apple releases a darwin distribution (ie, a functional OS, rather than just the darwin kernel), and numbers it starting from the OSX PB. so darwin distribution corresponding to OSX PB is darwin 1.0, but it uses the apple version of the mach kernel 5.x (perhaps the kernel numbering starts at 3.0, since that was the last number assigned by CMU). the darwin distro corresponding to OSX 10.1.4 is darwin kernel version 5.4. but the distribution number corresponding to OSX 10.1 is only 1.4.1. this is because it has only been counting since the public beta, while the kernel has been counting since the early days of NeXT.

so if we looked back at earlier versions of rhapsody or OSXserver, or OpenStep/NeXTSTEP, we might find kernel versions back to 3.0, or maybe even 1.0. presumably they would not be named after darwin, but other scientists.

perhaps this habit of codenaming the kernel versions after famous scientists started at CMU and we could find mach 1.0 codenames einstein or some such.

this is all conjecture, so tell me what you think. and i don t think anyone would be in a better conjecture to answer this than you, racerx.

I'm sorry, I should have pointed out that Euclid, Milnor, Riemann and Feynman are the names of my systems (for a system without a name, replace those names with localhost). Here are a couple others I was able to find searching through my notes.

Mac OS X Developer Preview 4:
Darwin Euclid 1.1 Darwin Kernel Version 1.1:.../RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Mac OS X Developer Preview 2
Mac OS 10.0 Mac OS Kernel Version 10.0: .../RELEASE_PPC Power Macintosh powerpc

Basicly from what I'm seeing with all these is that Apple isn't quite sure how they want to mark kernel upgrades with Mac OS X. NeXT/Apple was following a regular version numbering system from NEXTSTEP (NeXTstep 0.8 to NEXTSTEP 3.3) to OPENSTEP (OPENSTEP 4.0 - 4.2) to Rhapsody (Rhapsody 5.0 - 5.6), but when they moved to Darwin everything changed.

I'm going to e-mail some people and ask if they know what is going on with this stuff. Seems very strange to me.

According to the open source product manager, the version numbering of Darwin in Mac OS X is designed to mirror the build releases. This started with 10.1.1 (which was Darwin 5.1). So in 10.2.x, we should see Darwin 6.x.

They apologized for the inconvenience, and said that they hoped it would help with future releases.

so the distro that apple released, that they called darwin 1.4.1. what was that? what kernel version did it correspond to?

The letter says that 1.4.1 would be 5.0.1, I'm still trying to get this system. Let me ask some more questions and see if it gets any clearer.

:confused:

Back