No more bouncing icons

huck

Registered
Has Jaguar rid of bouncing icons? None of my programs jump continuosly anymore. They only jump once.

What' s that all about?

Peace.

Ver

Originally posted by huck
Has Jaguar rid of bouncing icons? None of my programs jump continuosly anymore. They only jump once.

What' s that all about?

Peace.

Ver

Ah, if only I were that lucky.

Jaguar has optimized a lot of the routines called when an app opens, thus launching takes significantly less time on some apps. Since the icon only bounces during the opening of an app, you're seeing a fast load time--one bounce.

I wish there were a setting to disable the annoying bounces.

Originally posted by huck

What' s that all about?

Peace.

Ver

Lol, Apple should quote that on their site.

"Performance enhancements of Jaguar are so dramatic that they can even confuse some."

when i say boucning i meant when an app needs attention. For example if i recieve an IM, AIM would bounce until i answered it. The same when i received mail, entourage would jump until i checked it.

My icons still bouce while loading though but this is not what i meant.

Ver

I know what your talking about huck and I noticed that too. Mine jump like once ever few minutes. Don't know if i like or dislike that yet.

Twister

Oh yah, that. That is true and I'm SOOO glad they did it. In AOL instant messenger everytime you recieved a message and the AOL window wasn't in front, the icon would bounce till you clicked it. It made me want to tell my friends to just shut the hell up.

apart from everything else: why are you using AIM when there's iChat coming with Mac OS X 10.2?

Originally posted by neo36
apart from everything else: why are you using AIM when there's iChat coming with Mac OS X 10.2?

I don't know about you, but while i like iChat and find it very nice, it just doesn't work for me.

I launch it and it works fine, but after a random amount of time I no longer receive IMs. I get no notification, and the person sending me IMs gets no notification. They just disappear. Quitting iChat and relaunching it has the effect of iChat hanging with the "connecting . . ." message. If I kill iChat and then do a "ps -aux | grep iChat" I see a daemon running under ApplicationServices that, if I kill, restores the functionality of iChat temporarily.

This happens on my Pismo and iMac, both at 10.2.1 (though it happened on 10.2 as well)

It's weird. I sent Apple feedback on it and I've heard others with the same problem when I've posted this on other boards, but no one has yet to find a resolution.

hmm, i don't have that problem. yet another: when i want to send a file to a friend, iChat crashs or tells me, when my friend starts the download, that "the other side cancelled" the download. my friend gets the same message...

iChat seems to be a bit buggy, still. does anyone know these problems or other ones?

hmm, i don't have that problem. yet another: when i want to send a file to a friend, iChat crashs or tells me, when my friend starts the download, that "the other side cancelled" the download. my friend gets the same message...

iChat seems to be a bit buggy, still. does anyone know these problems or other ones?

I'm curious: can you send files via the AIM client? This sounds very much like what happens when both parties are behind a firewall, and is something that happens on older AIM clients (the newer ones will port-hop until a port that the firewall allows is found, usually port 80)

I use iChat and it works just fine. I used AIM with 10.1, and the icon would bounce like it was having a siezure or something. Some other apps would do that too. 10.2 fixed the epilleptic icon problem and also came with iChat (thank ford) which makes it so I no longer need AIM.

So yah, I do use iChat.

Mine still bounce when I get an ICQ message, repeatdly until I bring at least one window from the app to the front... I'm running 10.2.1 as well and it worked under 10.2 as well.

AIM and ICQ both bounce for me. I don't use AIM to frequently so I"m not sure if it does still bounce under 10.2.1, mine did under 10.2

ICQ does still bounce in 10.2.1.

I wonder if it's a pref somewhere, it does get rather annoying at times for some people.

i don't use aim in 10.2. i use ichat and it only bounces once when you receive an im. AIM used to bounce until you answered it.

by the way, not happy with iChat.

As a side note, you can tell Entourage to not bounce the icon...

Preferences > Notification > uncheck "bounce icon"

Hopefuly more apps will offer this as an option...

:p

I wish there were a setting to disable the annoying bounces.

Not sitting at my Mac at the moment, but can't you go System Preferences/Dock/uncheck "Animate opening applications" -- or something to that effect?

I noticed this too with quite a few apps, and am glad they did it. The continuous jumping of icons slowed my system down to a crawl in 10.1 for some stupid reason. One bounce is good enough to get one's attention. :)

Several icons all jumping repeatedly is a real nightmare. :p

Back