No more FontMenu???

AAA guy

Registered
I'm a graphic designer that works on a magazine all day and have a ton of fonts loaded all the time of which there might be over 20 different variation of a font. Needles to say when I click on the character box to choose a font I'm presented with a HUGE list of fonts. Under System 9.2 i was able to use Suitcase's Font Menu to keep things in check but now under system 10.1.5 I have lost that ability.

Is there any 3rd party software out there now that can keep the fonts in sub menus???

Hmmm... what are you using for production, Quark Xpress, InDesign or something else?

I use Xpress in Classic mode with a combination of Adobe Type Reunion (OS9 only) and Font Reserve (OSX with a 9 xtension in the QXP xtensions folder). Mostly that works okay, but sometimes ATR loses itself.

When forced, I also use the OSX version of InDesign and everything in the font menus are grouped in their respective font families, with or without Font Reserve.

What version of Suitcase are you using? Maybe Extensis have an upgrade or patch on their website. V10 should work with 10.1.5, though.

Or maybe you need to re-install the page layout software.

Sorry, not much help I know, but we need a bit more info to track down the problem.

Originally posted by Lazzo
Hmmm... what are you using for production, Quark Xpress, InDesign or something else?

I What version of Suitcase are you using? Maybe Extensis have an upgrade or patch on their website. V10 should work with 10.1.5, though.

Or maybe you need to re-install the page layout software.

Sorry, not much help I know, but we need a bit more info to track down the problem.

Hi I have the same problem, I use 10.1.5 and Suitcase 10.1, and Freehand 10.
My font families are not in order.

Any solutions?
thx

I'm afraid not. I'm on 10.1.5, Font Reserve and Illustrator 10. Illustrator displays the font submenus fine. But, for all I know, font submenus are built into Illustrator itself. I don't have Freehand so can't comment on that.

It may depend on how advanced along the OSX path the various softwares are.

I have system 10.1.5 and I'm working on QuarkXpress 4.11. I'm up to date on all updates to the best that I know. I'm still not getting any font grouping at all in any programs. If I restart under strictly system 9 then I get the font grouping back it is only under system 10 that I lose that function even if quark is running in classic mode.

AAA guy, that's the same software as I have, but I also have Adobe Type Reunion which seems to work under Classic most of the time. Recently though, it's become a bit dodgy and ocassionally appears to lose track of the fonts which means quitting & relaunching Xpress, then it works again. Have you got ATM installed?

I've just had a thought - the dodginess might be because my ATM is on the OS9 volume and doesn't like networking across two HD's. I'll try it on the OSX HD later and post back in a few days.

The fonts in FlashMX were grouped, but that's packed up now.

If there are any developers reading this, it'd be nice (and possibly profitable - I'd buy it) if you could solve it! After all, Font Reserve works across both platforms.

Well here is what I'm running in what mode:

Quark 4.11 in classic mode
Illustrator 9.0.2 in classic mode
Photoshop 6.0.1 in classic mode
Suitcase 10.1.2 in system 10.1.5
ATM 4.6.2 control panel in classic mode

Thats all I have going in terms of font management. its odd that font menus groupings are retained in Illustrator and somewhat in Photo shop but is lost everywhere else.

Apart from Xpress, all my software is OS X.

When I get around to it (I've run out of square tuits), I'll try to get in touch with someone at a large local software developer. They create very expensive bespoke software solutions for large companies, but who knows, somebody there might like to play around in their spare time. You don't get anything if you don't ask.

Bringing this one back since it still haunts me. I'm still not able to group these fonts into families in Quark. It does group everything in Illustrator which to my understanding has this feature built in. I would like to knwo what others have done to solve this problem?

Well, I have ATM Light for screen display and Diamondsoft's FontReserve for management across OS9 and X. I also have ATM Deluxe and Adobe Type Reunion running on the separate OS9 hard disk. This set-up provides me with font families in Xpress menus, so long as I don't change from Xpress to another app. If I do that, I have to quit and releaunch Xpress.

Of course ATM Deluxe won't actually 'work' with X, but it does seem to have an affect.

I haven't used Suitcase for 10 years as it was always flaky, maybe it still is.

Back