No more OS 9 support!

prime

Walking No-Fun Ball
I read in an eWEEK article that a tweak in the not-so-distant future will break OS 9 support on Apple hardware. Now, this seems like a horrible move to me.

[RANT]

There are many applications that still only run in OS 9, and while breaking support for those applications will definitely get developers to put out OS X ports of their applications ASAP, there are many applications that only function in Mac OS 9 (such as most of the games I own), and will never be OS X-compatible.

People complain that many applications don't work in X, and they will only complain louder when the OS that can run those apps (OS 9) becomes broken on modern hardware.

What about the audio pros? Most audio applications only function in OS 9. The people that use those apps will be stuck using an unsupported, non-upgradable system until their apps run natively in X, which may or may not happen.

It seems that Apple's thinking is that doing this will get OS X adoption by the Mac users going at a faster pace. Things like switching to a new OS take time - applications need to be ported, people need to get used to the new OS, and new enhancements to X need to appear before these applications get ported.

[/RANT]

Now that I've got that out of my system, what's your thinking on all this? If I'm wrong on any of this, feel free to correct me :)

OS9 eats less RAM, less resources, less graphics, less screen space.

Most audio apps are still OS9, true. Most plug-ins for these apps too.

As a designer, I have to switch to OS9 for Quark XPress. And to play Unreal or Warcraft III because it's just FASTER in OS9 (more memory for the game, less for the OS).

I like OS9 for the following reasons:

• It's a simple OS
• It's a stable OS
• It's a discreet OS
• It's a fast OS
• It's an improvable OS

OSX does not have so much advantages. Speed especially is missing to it. I really hope Jaguar rocks.

Allright ...here we are:

OS 9 OS X

• It's a simple OS The Power of UNIX the Simplicity of Mac OS, as
simple as Unix can get...and veryclose to the simplicity of os 9....cmon is not difficult to use MAC OS X.

• It's a stable OS Multitasking protected memory can it gets more stable??? guess not.

• It's a discreet OS Aqua isn't that bad...turn it to gray ..you ll love it, plus there are plenty of skin...to name some sosumi and milk...that really make a great job.

• It's a fast OS Is not as fast as OS 9 ..but you can be more productive....see multitastking and prtected memory (more prog opens at the same time...more work done, less crash.....more work done :)))) plus speed is not the issue here i think...wait and try Jaguar.

• It's an improvable OS Well i think apple showed us how many improvement we can make on X... so i believe X ismore ....."improvable?"... even if i think it is perfect as it is (i am speaking of Jaguar).

OS X use more display space??? is that the dock??? well there is a magic trick that turns hiding on and off....inside System preference.. i think it's called....hmmm emmmm Automatically hide the dock? inside the dock pref pane...try it .. and you ll be amazed of the power of X :D

Just my 2 cents

Originally posted by BBenve
Allright ...here we are:

OS 9 OS X

• It's a simple OS The Power of UNIX the Simplicity of Mac OS, as
simple as Unix can get...and veryclose to the simplicity of os 9....cmon is not difficult to use MAC OS X.

• It's a stable OS Multitasking protected memory can it gets more stable??? guess not.

• It's a discreet OS Aqua isn't that bad...turn it to gray ..you ll love it, plus there are plenty of skin...to name some sosumi and milk...that really make a great job.

• It's a fast OS Is not as fast as OS 9 ..but you can be more productive....see multitastking and prtected memory (more prog opens at the same time...more work done, less crash.....more work done :)))) plus speed is not the issue here i think...wait and try Jaguar.

• It's an improvable OS Well i think apple showed us how many improvement we can make on X... so i believe X ismore ....."improvable?"... even if i think it is perfect as it is (i am speaking of Jaguar).

OS X use more display space??? is that the dock??? well there is a magic trick that turns hiding on and off....inside System preference.. i think it's called....hmmm emmmm Automatically hide the dock? inside the dock pref pane...try it .. and you ll be amazed of the power of X :D

Just my 2 cents

You're being totally off-topic. I said that OS 9 can't be dropped yet because of software support, and because of the large number of Mac users that aren't using OS X yet.

OS X is a great OS - it's stable, plenty fast (for me, at least), attractive, and much more powerful than OS 9 ever was. But many people are still using 9, probably because most of their applications are not OS X native. Even if the apps do run in X, people still have to shell out thousands of dollars for software upgrades. Abandoning OS 9 is like abandoning over 80% of their user base. It just doesn't seem like a good choice, at least not yet.

while i was not being off topic, cause i was answering to Toast... i still believe tha OS X is the way to go...

1) NO ONE push you to use OS X (is apple pushing you?? not yet....so while you complain basing your thoughts on some rumor and i underline RUMOR)

2) Do you HAVE TO move to OS X? not you canuse OS 9 and all your 9 app

3) if i move to X will i loose everything 9? NO even though they will drop os 9 totally and do not make it bootable..there will always be something called CLASSIC environment...and believe me..that will stay for a little longer..

4) should i shell more money for X native programs?? well that is up to you...if the app you have is good enought.... run it on OS 9 OR classic...you re still using it right? wait before you complain IF and IF you realize that app is not good enought anymore...thaan... you should shell the money as yu would do for a new os 9 version...or upgrade...

This is not a fight..is just to rememebr you that no one forces you to use X especially Apple......they haven't said anything about dropping OS 9 and making it NOT bootable....this are all rumors...NOT CONFIRMED...

I wish i could solve your problem, but sometimes we have to moove forward... it will cost money .. it will take time...but it will be worthed....at least...it already is for me and many other users.....hopefully soon everyone will look back and say ...thanks apple it was though but WORTHER

My 2 cents

the only way that OS X will ever meet up to your expectation is by forcing the kind of upgrade on the developers and on the public.

If that didnt happen, a hell of a lot more developers would probably stick with OS 9, and OS X would NEVER get where we want it to be.

This is what i call an ugly, awkward, but NECESSARY transition period.

In fact, I may have said this before, but the switch from OS 9 to OS X for the apple platform reminds me greatly of the DOS to Win95 transition. And that wasnt pretty either.

apple is not going to drop the support for OS 9 or any of it's hardware

i mean they still support System 7 and 7.5
they still support my Performa 6200

they are going to drop support for that before they drop support for OS 9

apple is not stupid! they are going to keep support if anything they will either go two ways

1) they might actually make the support Free
2) they will charge a little more

Is there something specific you can do in OS9 you can't in OSX ?
It looks like the answer is 'no'. Unless one of you points out something…

For my own, I can't use my scanner under X (VueScan crashes ! KERNEL PANIC !!! I can't believe this).

Actually what was said is that maybe in Jan '03 that Apple would start shipping their new systems not able to boot into OS9 not crippling their existing base of hardware or software. People need to realize that this should be logical, if you buy new hardware you should run the latest OS to get the benefits of that new hardware. Common sense folks.

Um, like you can restart to OS 9 to have your cake and eat it too and stuff.

The progression of OS X does nothing to the current status of OS 9 and its current apps.

As for audio apps, um, they're popping up right now. Deck and Peak are selling currently. Apple just bought Emagic, so give them a few months and we'll have Logic in X. Cubase SX is due out in just couple of months.

Yes, it's been a long wait for all these X apps, but it's been worth it for me.

I want OS 9 dead. It does nobody any good to continue supporting it. It only slows down progress. If you like OS 9 or have apps that only run in it, then fine, reboot, it's not that big a deal. We've been doing it [rebooting] for years thanks to daily crashes on our OS 9 Macs (admit it, it happened all the time).

Originally posted by mindbend
We've been doing it [rebooting] for years thanks to daily crashes on our OS 9 Macs (admit it, it happened all the time).

I disagree on this one.
OS9.22 is very stable at home, if I don't mess up with ATM Deluxe groups and get over 100 fonts activated at the same time.
The rest of the OS may not always be as comfortable as OSX, but it stays a very very stable OS in my humble opinion. If you know how to configure it (which is just 1000 times simpler than any Windows machine).
So I don't want to see OS9 dead ! I want to have an OS somewhere on my disk to boot on, an alternative OS for major problems. I want this OS to be ugly compared to Aqua, but I also want this OS to be faster than OSX.
That's OS9 :).

Back