No OS 9 will be coming with any machines after Aug 24.

ddma

The Most Stupid Member
I called Apple today. I wanted to ask what if I get the OS X Jaguar "UPGRADE" CD, is it really "UPGRADE" like previous 10.1. Yes, it is. And he said, if I wait after Aug 24 to pick up my machine, I will have a full version of Mac OS X Jaguar but no OS 9 will be shipping together. He said no OS 9 will be shipping with any machines after Aug 24 (except eMac).

Apple is really trying to force developers to make OSX versions of their programs

Well - i think thats a good step forward - and anyone that wants OS9 can still install it anyways

I haven't even heard of a Jaguar "upgrade" CD. There is only one price for Jaguar (officially), and that's $129. Doesn't matter if you own 10.1, 10.1, or the last Mac OS you bought was 7.5. It's still $129.

There's only one CD being printed, and that's a full copy of Jaguar, and it doesn't check to see if you have 10.0 -10.1 installed. If you do, it will upgrade that installation, but it doesn't REQUIRE it, like the 10.1 upgrade CD's did.

Apple got burned on the 10.1 upgrade scheme. Once users figured out how to make the 10.1 upgrade CD a full installer with little difficulty, people could essentially get OS X for free.

I don't need it. But as for some people may say they don't want to upgrade all their applications into X-ready... Well, there are so many people/companies are still using Illustrator 9, Freehand 9 and so on... Anyway, I don't care. lol

But my iMac will be arrived on Aug 16... So I will have OS X 10.1 with OS 9.2.2.

Originally posted by serpicolugnut
I haven't even heard of a Jaguar "upgrade" CD. There is only one price for Jaguar (officially), and that's $129. Doesn't matter if you own 10.1, 10.1, or the last Mac OS you bought was 7.5. It's still $129.

There's only one CD being printed, and that's a full copy of Jaguar, and it doesn't check to see if you have 10.0 -10.1 installed. If you do, it will upgrade that installation, but it doesn't REQUIRE it, like the 10.1 upgrade CD's did.

Apple got burned on the 10.1 upgrade scheme. Once users figured out how to make the 10.1 upgrade CD a full installer with little difficulty, people could essentially get OS X for free.

The Jaguar upgrade kit are for those (including me) who have purchased a new computer between July 17 to Aug 24.

What are these rumors that Apple will be turning off compatibility for OS 9? Sure the easy way to switch people is to stop delivering it with the new machine, but if rumors are true, a special ROM chip will be checking if the OS is 9.x and not allowing it to boot. That seems like over kill.

Now that I think of it, it's not that big of a deal cause there would still be classic, which according to beta testers launches in seconds rather than minutes. That's faster than some native apps load on my machine.

I don't think that they need any special ROM chip to stop it from booting.

Apple usually made small changes to OS 9, as well as OS X to allow it to work with the latest machines. This explains why the machines in the stores always have a different build on them, than the ones we download as an update.

The builds Apple puts on them allow the OS to work with the new hardware, and future updates to the OS include these new small changes.

Forget about a ROM-chip _added_ to prevent booting Mac OS 9. New machines will simply have even _less_ of the original Macintosh ROMs in the ROM, basically only what's needed for Mac OS X.

About beta testers stating Classic will launch in seconds rather than minutes: True, but then they might have faster machines than yours, too. I'd say, if you have Classic launch will almost no extensions, you'll bring it down to 30 seconds on 10.1.5 and down to 28 seconds on 10.2. :)

The Jaguar upgrade kit are for those (including me) who have purchased a new computer between July 17 to Aug 24.

Yes, but it's still a FULL version, even though Apple is technically upgrading you. There will not be an "ugprade" release of OS X Jaguar. People like you (and me, since I bought my TiBook/800 on July 17th) will get the full release.

This is how Apple did things before. The OS X 10.1 was the first time in the last 10 years that I can remember, that Apple made an OS installer check to see if the previous required OS was present. All OSes previous, for instance, like 7.1, installed whether or not 7.0 was present. Apple tried something new with 10.1, and quickly found that people took advantage of the free ugprade and circumvented the (easy) upgrade checker. Apple has reverted to their pre 10.1 philosophy of making all upgrades actual "full versions" of the products, and to charge full price for it as well....

Yeah, but the problem is that, everytime when I need to reinstall my system, I have to install 10.1 firstly into my hard drive. That's quite inconvenience.

Originally posted by ddma
Yeah, but the problem is that, everytime when I need to reinstall my system, I have to install 10.1 firstly into my hard drive. That's quite inconvenience.
If it is like the previous 10.1 "Upgrade" CD's, there will be a way (supposedly just take the biggest package file from the CD) to make a "Full" install CD, because all the stuff is there, the installer just pretends it needs 10.whatever there before installing.

Back