No "Public Update".....

DJ_XTC

Online ADC and NRA Member
An update was made avalible to developers only. We can only hope that an update will be released to the "public" after Macworld in January.

DJ XTC

Maybe Apple has feedback, and they know that certain issues weren't fixed, and rather than have 2 million people submit feedback forms reguarding fixes they left out... they opted to only let developers get there hands on the fundamentally important updates that the consumer probably wouldn't notice, like a smaller kernel.

Not sure what they did exactly, but it runs 20 times faster. The developer update was pretty much a faster version with less base code. they sent it to them so they could make sure currently designed apps are still working with it, before they release the "public update." IF you want a copy of it, you can go to apple's website and pay $500.00 a year to be an apple developer and get all the unreleased updates of all apple software.

"Is The XTC in You?"

Originally posted by DJ_XTC
Not sure what they did exactly, but it runs 20 times faster. The developer update was pretty much a faster version with less base code. they sent it to them so they could make sure currently designed apps are still working with it, before they release the "public update." IF you want a copy of it, you can go to apple's website and pay $500.00 a year to be an apple developer and get all the unreleased updates of all apple software.

"Is The XTC in You?"

I'm a developer, and all I got was an "international" version. It certainly doesn't run any faster.

>>Johnny

Don't believe anything you hear from Macosrumors. Ryan Meader's so full of crap it's laughable. Trust me on this one.

DJ -- do you have this "20 times faster" version?
If so, what is the build number?

To see the build number, from the terminal, type
more /System/Library/CoreServices/software_version

Mine prints out:
Mac OS X
Public Beta (build 1H39)

This is the standard PB build. The international build IS different from a developer seed that came out a while ago. Developer seeds 2E14 and 4H8 have come out, and many have said that the former at least is in a pretty broken condition.
What one are you working with? Is there a new one?

Zach
PS. reading the text files in /System/Library/CoreServices is interesting. For instance we find out that the "code name" for OS X was "Kodiak."

OSX will tell you what build you are using by selecting "About this Macintosh" from the desktop's menu as well.

no typing required... just like in the old Mac days. ;)

OSX will tell you what build you are using by selecting "About this
Macintosh" from the desktop's menu as well.
no typing required... just like in the old Mac days.

Ooh... Sorry! I would never want to recommend a terminal-based solution when there is a GIU one at hand. (I'm afraid that I am at home now, away from OS X at school, so my only access to X is via SSH command lines, so I forget the easy way to do things. I too, hope that soon I will be using the terminal less, like the "old days.")

Thanks rinse!
Zach

Sorry for the wait.... I was on vacation. I do not have the new version on my machine. I am a Jr ADC member and an Apple Seed Member, but the build is on my buddy's machine. He is a Primier ADC member, and he got the build in the first week of Dec (at least that's what he said). I will try to get the build number, but he is strict about his "signing of the Non-discloser Form" so he might not let me go that far into his sytem. I got a look at it by accident when I went to check my excite mail at his house, and he had the latest version running on his G4 500 MP. The 20 times factor might be because I have a G3 350 B&W compared to his sytem, but either way the graphics and program load time are much faster than the other version he had loaded previously.

"Is The XTC In You?"

I was considering being an apple seed person, (but I lost my prinout with my signature on it:p)
Is it worth it ?

Admiral

You get to use software that is meaningful to you, before it is finalized to have a part in it's development. It is a very cool thing to be a part of.

Back