No screen/CRT illumination on Sage G3

scotlovesmacs

Registered
Hi. My daughter's Sage G3 all-in-one has been powered down for a few months without power cord connected. Upon trying to restart to give it away to a friend, I get start-up chime and can hear hard drive spin-up, but no screen comes up on CRT. Thought maybe the tube didn't have enough energy stored to illuminate, so I shut it down and left a power cord connected. Started again 2 hours later and still no screen, although I again hear start chime and hard drive spinning. I didn't want to push one of the reset buttons prematurely before asking what might be the root cause of this absent screen. Thanks in advance for your help. Scot.

The clock battery may be dead.
I would leave it plugged in for 24 hours then try starting. If it doesn't start, replace the clock battery.

Hi Bob. Here's what's happened so far, and what I've done. The following is dialog with tech Ferdinand:

Hi Scot,

Try disconnecting the keyboard, then turning it on. If that doesn't work, try turning it on, immediately shut it down again. Wait a while, then turn it back on.

It could also be, that the internal battery is dead. I also have an iMac G3, with 266 MHz, and the screen also didn't come on. After a while it worked, so I brought it to an Apple Store so they could check it. It turned out, the battery was dead.

Might be the same problem you have.
Thanks,

Ferdinand

scotlovesmacs - May 21, 2007 - 1:02 pm

Thanks Ferdinand. I tried power-down and back up with, and without keyboard attached. Also reset PRAM. Still no CRT screen. I'll change out PRAM battery next. Do you know exactly where it's located and how much take-apart I'm in for? Thanks again. Scot.

Ferdinand - May 21, 2007 - 1:22 pm

Sorry, I only know they use a 3.6 volt battery, but I wouldn't take it apart myself. If you really do, make sure you turn the iMac on its display, with a towel underneath, so the screen won't get scratched, plug out the power cable on both ends, and unplug all peripherals.
I would take the Mac to a professional or a store.
Thanks,

Ferdinand

Sorry for the delay in response. Have been away with work. Anyway, I replaced the PRAM battery. Actually pretty easy to do. However, now there is still no screen and start-up chime is absent. Apple troubleshooting suggests that the only remaining fault is tha Analog/Video Board. Deep in the heart of the machine and requires removing the CRT. I guess this unit is ready for the trash unless you have any other suggestions. Thanks. Scot.

End of thread with tech Ferdinand...

So Bob, Are you suggesting: Plug it IN for 24 hours and see if it comes up with a screen? I have a new PRAM battery in it and after I installed it, got no start-up chime, nothing at all. Ready for trash or plug in a let sit idle for 24 hours? Thanks for your thoughts and help! Scot.

If you have a new Pram battery, and now you don't have the startup chime, I would try try resetting the Cuda;

1 Unplug the computer.
2 Remove the battery from the logic board.
3 Disconnect the power supply cable from the logic board
and then press the Cuda Reset button. (See “Logic
Board Diagram” later in this chapter to locate the Cuda
Reset button.)
4 Wait at least 10 minutes before replacing the battery.
5 Make sure the battery is installed in the correct +/-
direction.

The Cuda button is near the edge of the Logic Board where the Power Supply block and PCI slots are.

Back