No Software Installs Work

dshafer

Registered
Today, after running Panther with 90% success for about 10 days or two weeks, all software installs stopped working. I double-click on an installer package and the package opens and immediately closes. Launching the Apple Installer directly in Finder has the same effect.

I was told to try:

* logging in in safe mode
* logging in as root

Safe mode had no effect. My system refuses to allow me to activate root mode; the menu option isn't even available in NetInfo. But there is a root user because an attempt to create a new user with that name produces an error indicating such a user already exists.

Even the installer package Optional Install on the Panther DVD fails to execute.

I've rebuilt permissions, logged out and back in, restarted the machine, created a new admin user and logged in using that user hame...all to no avail. I am afraid my system is hosed and that I will now have to start over with Panther again. That would be the third time. This was obviously a badly rushed release by Apple.

This was obviously a badly rushed release by Apple.
Are you talking about Panther or Tiger? Panther has been out for eons. Are you just venting? Or, do you have something we might help with?

The Ghost said:
Are you talking about Panther or Tiger? Panther has been out for eons. Are you just venting? Or, do you have something we might help with?

Sorry. The names of the cats got confused in my frantic brain. I was referring to Tiger, not Panther. I WISH I could revert to Panther, which ran just fine thank you very much!

Back