No sound under MacOS X

Pakse

Registered
I have a big problem!
I´ve just installed MacOS X on my iMac 333 mhz, 160 mb ram. I´ve made 2 partitions with MacOS 9 (danish 9.04)on one of them and MacOS X on the other partition.
All works really OK except that I have no sound under MacOS X! The sound works perfectly under MacOS 9.
I use eternal speakers connected to the speaker output lineout.
Anyone who knows what the problem is?

Yes, the sound works if I don´t use eternal speakers. But the sound in the internal speakers in the iMac are indeed very bad.
But if I connect the speakers to one the headphone outlets on the front it also works fine!
Strange that it doesn´t work in the speakers outlet.........

I was able to get my sound to work by going to the sound control panel in system preferences, checking "mute" and then UNCHECKING "mute"!!!! Strange, but works!!

Now if I could get my system to connnect to the internet!!

Oh yeah, my Cyborg 3D joystick kept me from rebooting shutting down!!! WIERD!!

It appears that there is a problem when using external speakers on an iMac and they are plugged into the jack on the side of the unit. If you plug them into one of the jacks on the front of the machine, they should work fine. (Alternatively, you can leave them plugged into the side and plug something else into the front to enable them.)

- Eric

I tried both "muting" and "unmuting" and unplugging my external speakers, but I still have no sound in X. It must be a software deal in OS X. But it might have to do with a secondary video card I have. I don't know why.

Beige G3/300
192 MB Ram
12 GB HD
Nexus 128 Video Card
DVD/Zip

I have not seen anyone with a beige g3 with DVD that has sound working under OSX. Sucks for me to, I have a Beige G3 300 Mhz with DVD. Alas, I must use OS9 for my mp3's. APPLE PLEASE FIX THIS SOON.

I have the same problem on my beige G3...hmmm....I wonder if unplugging the DVD card would work? (temporarily, of course)

-Jonathan : )

Originally posted by Eric Brown
It appears that there is a problem when using external speakers on an iMac and they are plugged into the jack on the side of the unit. If you plug them into one of the jacks on the front of the machine, they should work fine. (Alternatively, you can leave them plugged into the side and plug something else into the front to enable them.)

I've found that to be the case with my iMac DV... but I've also found that you need to plug the "something else" in the headphone jack AFTER the computer boots, otherwise that doesn't work either.

I hope this is something that's being worked on?

same deal on iMac DV SE (old school), and as per most users, the mute --> un-mute technique does nothing.

if anyone fixes this, lemme be the first to know... I know it sounds odd, but I've got a cramped college desktop, and the speaker jack sticking out of the front actually DOES bug me, cuz my fingers hit it as I type on the top row.... this is one of my MAJOR gripes with OS X.

-- Adam

Back