No support for Apple Remote Desktop 1.2

Matsaki

Registered
I'v been trying to connect to my office computer from home with Apple Remote Desktop 1.2 and only get the error

message "There was a problem communicating with xxx.xxx.xxx.xx"

Been looking through all support and and forums at apple with no result :(

I have turned off all firewalls and opened port 3338 from my home router (have no router in office) BUT NOTHING, and there is no where to find what's going wrong with the connection.

Matsaki,

Apple Remote Desktop uses UDP port 3283 for communications. If your office machine is behind a firewall, make sure all outside requests for port 3283 are being forwarded to it.

Apple has a nice list of used ports:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106439

Also, double check the basics. Make sure Apple Remote Desktop is set to start at startup. Make sure your user is allowed to connect to your machine. Check this out in the Apple Remote Desktop control panel.

This should be all you need.

-Van

Hmm! Don't work anyway, but can it be because I'm behind a router here at the admin machine? Do I have to open the port in the router as well?

It sounds like your router on the client side is still not allowing communications over the ARD port or you are not connecting the correct way. You shouldn't have to port map ARD access on the admin side of things. I would revisit the router and make sure you have the ARD ports routed to your internal machines IP address.

When you connect, are you selecting "Setup | Computers | Add by Name" from the ARD menu bar? Enter the public IP address (usually your router) for you network - not your client computers internal IP address, followed by your user name and password.

-Van

My computer in the office (Client) is not behind any firewall or router. Only my home computer (Admin) is behind a router and I did try to open the 3283 port on the router as well.

When I try to connect to my Office computer from home (Admin) I do the stepps as you descriped above and put the given IP adress or the non-ip.com adress I have assigned to my Offices computer.

Back