no0b Question (Mac Won't Start)

Deansweb2004|NT

Registered
I've just recently brought a Mac-Mini, Since I wanted to get the experience of Mac o/s.

Anyway I was happly Browsering the IN-TER-WEB, LOL with Safri

Then, The next Morning when I went to boot it, I get a Icon on the Screen with a Folder and " ? " in the middle

Any Ideas?

Thats not good, do you remember doing anything else?

Try putting in your Mac OS X install CD and holding C when you start the computer. Once the installer loads, select Disk Utility from the installer menu. Once that loads, select your disk(Macintosh HD) and click the repair disk option.

help at Last :p

Anyway, I am not expect on Mac's I've only just brought the Mac and I've only been using it for about 1 Day.. And now this suddently Happen.

I just switched off the Computer then started it again and Now I get that Icon and I can't get the cd out anymore:(

Yes and I've tried doing both, Not sure if am doig it right though, You got MSN, Its taking ages for a reply?lol

Edit: The cd does not come out, and plus the CD does not boot up..

What did you do before you 'shut it down'? Did you shut it down properly (choosing Shut Down from the Apple menu?)

To start up from the Mac OS X CD, put it into your disk drive, then restart your computer and hold down the C key until you can hear your computer accessing the disc. Then reinstall Mac OS X.

The Computer Crashed, So I restarted and Now I get that folder icon with "?" inside :(...

I've tried to boot from CD, But It does not want to work..

Are you sure you are HOLDING down the C key? Try turning off the computer totally (hold down the power button for a few seconds). Then hold down the C key, and while you are holding it down turn the computer back on. Do not let go, you may need to hold it for a minute or two. It's a failsafe, it should always work.

Holding C while starting up will make the Mac disregard the hard disk and straight away check to see if there are any files it can boot from from the CD in the drive.

If it doesn't wanna boot off your CD ensure that you have the correct CD in :p

Not that it is IN correctly, but rather you have the correct CD in :D

The disc label should say Mac OS X Install or something like that.

Btw. This is not a chatroom. Try to follow the tips you're getting before answering again. ;)

The symptoms you're describing say that the Mac can't find a system to boot from (the folder with the question mark). If you have the installation DVD inside the drive, you should be able to boot from it by holding down the 'c' key at startup-time (keep the 'c' key pressed down until you see the blue background, not the grey one).

When the installation program is starting, go to the Apple menu and go to the disk utility, where you can repair your drive. In the worst case, a reinstallation is necessary.

Side note: Don't expect answers here the _second_ you post a question. As I've said: It's not a chat room. It's a forum. There are many members who happily will help you out. But give them time to, well, actually be around, read your question and post an answer. M'kay? :)

hold down the mouse button as you start up the machine to eject the removable media. Then make sure you have a bootable cd or dvd in the drive and restart holding down the "c" key to boot from the cd/dvd drive.

Deansweb2004|NT said:
None of that works :(!

sorry if your not... but if none of the tips described above work your computer is totally screwed up go back to the place where you purchased your mini from and ask for a REFUND or at least some on site support to find out what the hell is wrong with your system..... weird

Are you positive that the keyboard and mouse are actually attached correctly to the computer? :p

good point Qion. If starting up with the mouse pressed - all the time - doesn't eject the removable media then either the the keyboard and mouse are disconnected or the Boot Rom is fried.

Anyway - hope you can get it straightened out. I love my mini (and my iBook, and...)

Back