Noisy fan when using OS 9

t_habrock

Registered
My system:
1.25 Ghz MDD Dual Processor
512MB RAM
Dual Boot (MAC OSX/Mac OS 9)

My Problem:
When using MAC OSX, my computer runs smoothly and quietly, however, when I boot in OS 9, the fan starts loudly and never stops. It is very annoying, since I have to work extensively in OS 9 due to program compatability issues.

I checked the Apple knowledge base (which is bloody useless and hard to navigate) and all I found was a link to upgrade firmware, but I checked, and my computer was up-to-date already.

Does anyone know why this would be and if there is any thing I can do about it to get some peace and quiet...

Thanks,
Tim

Strange that you would hear the fan in OS 9. Have you tried using your programs in Classic? You stay in OS X, but use the OS 9 application.

How old is the computer? As I recall there was a problem with a loud fan in one model and Apple replaced them.

I appreciate you helping me work through this.

The computer is brand-spanking new. I bought it in March from the Apple on-line store.

Here's a great information site about the fan noise problem you are describing. In it you will find links to discussion groups and possible solutions (european companies)

http://www.macnn.com/news.php?id=17916

Another news article on the "mirror drive doors" also known as "wind tunnel" doors...

http://www.macnightowl.com/newsletters/2002/11/157.htm

The best article yet explaining the motherboard as the culprit for OS 9 fan noise on new G4 Macs:

http://www.macbuyersguide.com/news/arc9-2002.html

Hope these articles help. I certainly learned a lot!

APPLE is up to their old tricks...I contacted them armed with all this information and they said since my computer is so new, the noise issue "IS" resolved and that what I am hearing is normal fan noise. I explained the fact that

Yet I know it is not! They refuse to accept any responsibility.

Anyone have any suggestions (not including throwing the bloody thing out the window)...?

Some of the articles I provided you have lists of people with the same problem you have and are starting petitions to give to Apple.

Your last resort is to take it into an apple store and show a tech there exactly what's going on. If you are still under warranty they might just exchange your computer for you.

I read about the on-line petition...but the end date had passed. I also read further that Apple's repsonse to the petition was "there is no problem".

The other thing that is particularly frustrating for me is I ordered mine Configured To Order so they are not readily in stock.

It was interesting that when I talked to the customer support rep, he relied on the 3 D's:

1. Deny the problem (Fan noise is to be expected);
2. Debase my judgement (You are not an adequate judge of what is excessive noise);
3. Displace the blame (If there is excessive noise, it is due to the OS and is to be expected).

He first tried to assure me the fan noise was normal, and I explained that it seemed excessively loud, he said that I wasn't qualified to judge what is normal noise as opposed to excessive. He also continually contradicted himself as I grilled him on the problem:

-> ME: Should I expect more fan noise when running one OS as opposed to the other?
*(NOTE: I intentionally do not mention which OS)

-> APPLE: No, the hardware works independently of the Operating System and it should have no effect on the fan.

-> ME: Well, my computer does have this problem. When running one OS it is quiet as a church mouse and when running the other the fan noise is loud and constant.
*(NOTE: Again, I intentionally do not mention which OS)

-> APPLE: That actually would be expected due to the heat generated by the processing power required to run OS X.
(NOTE: He "assumes" OS X is the noisy culprit.)

-> ME: Actually it is OS 9 that is causing the problem.
(NOTE: At this point he does a complete flip)

-> APPLE: That is not unexpected, since OS 9 is older it requires more processing power to run.

I was also told that to adequately judge if there is a noise problem, I would need to have it checked at an Apple Authorized Service Center, but - and this is the kicker - I will have to pay to have it checked, because it is NOT considered a legitamite hardware problem...!

My suggestion: Take your machine in to an AAT (Authorized Apple Tech) and do the act. Tell him that you are not sure if there is a problem, but you think you hear distinctive exessive fan noise. You need some one else's ears (a super tech) just to be sure that you are not going crazy or to verify that you are going crazy.

I'll bet he/she takes the hook and checks things out. Make sure you have the machine set to OS 9 boot. :)

OS 9 does not need more processor power than OS X.

Tell whomever you spoke with that you believe yourself to be an adequate judge of what is too much noise because "too much" is relative to who is using a computer. To a graphic artist, the excessive noise caused by the fan on a "wind tunnel" G4 may be perfectly acceptable while the much quieter hum of the hard drive in a G3 iMac may be far too noisy for a recording artist. Tell them that there is a problem because the fan annoys you.

Convince Apple, your tech rep on the phone, your local Apple-friendly store's tech rep, whoever that the problem is persistent, not your fault, and in need of remedy, no matter what they say. Whether or not it is normal, you should not have to live with having a noisy computer, especially if it's only in one OS. Making you pay to have it checked for "excessive noise" officially at an AASC is complete bullshit; you are the sole judge of what amount of noise is excessive for you.

Back