Nokia 6630 As Bluetooth Modem

pixie67

Registered
hello,
i've got a G4 powerbook 12" and a nokia 6630 bluetooth phone-i can synch the two well with isync but i dont know how to set up the phone as a modem to connect to the internet-also i have a broadband isp,do i need a dial-up account?-please help me ,i'm very flustered

thanks

sally

Hi,
You just need to go into your Network Preferences,
set Location to Automatic
set Show to Network Port Configurations

and check the Bluetooth box, then click/drag it to the top of the list(not necessary, but gives Bluetooth priority).

Now set Show to Bluetooth, Select the PPP Tab and and fill-in your ISP's connect info; login/password/dial-up number.

Select the Bluetooth Modem tab and find your Nokia model way down in the drop-down modem list. If yours doesn't show, just try one of the Nokia's.

Click Apply Now

Now set show to Network Status to monitor your various connection(s). Green=GO!

That should get you there.

Let me know if it works for you.

cheers
Ross

I am using a nokia 6630 as a bluetooth modem to connect to a 3G cell network from a pb 12" running mac os x 10.4.3. I use "nokia 3g" script by Ross Barkman (http://www.taniwha.org.uk/). Just after the configuration of the bluetooth device, things appear to work fine. After switching on/off the computer, though, "internet connect" fails to connect, even though the phone is correctly paired. In order to have the modem working again, I have to go to the bluetooth preference pane and to "configure" my cell phone again. After reconfiguration, everything works fine. Does anybody have a hint on what is going on? Thanks in advance and HAPPY NEW YEAR to everybody! Stefano

Stefano,
I just got set up with the scripts you mentioned from Ross, on my Nokia 3650 and it had me going in 5 mins. Thanks for posting the address.
I haven't powered-down yet, but I'll see what happens when I do.
I seem to remember somewhere in the setup was an option to auto-discover or auto-connect. In the Bluetooth Prefs panel opened from the Menu bar BT icon, under the Settings Tab do you have "Discoverable" checked?
In the Devices Tab is there a Heart(favorites) and a Key next to your phone?
Maybe you need the key and don't have it? Keychain?
Here's what mine has under Devices tab:

Device Address: 00-60-57-43-bc-f9
Device Type: Phone
Device Services: SDP Server, OBEX File Transfer, Bluetooth Serial Port, Handsfree Audio Gateway, OBEX Object Push, AppleAgent, Fax, Dial-up Networking

Paired: Yes
Configured: Yes
Favorite: Yes
Connected: No (I have it off right now)
Serial Port: Yes

Good luck
Ross

Back