Nokia and Apple joining forces..

I actually think Apple (and Moto) had to learn that providers aren't interested in phones that get their songs via a PC or Mac. They want people to download the songs on the mobile networks. I.e.: Other phones generate money for the providers, whereas an iTunes-enabled phone must be counted as a potential loss to them...
But I, too, think that this was a _very_ premature announcement, that Moto-iTunes deal...

why Nokia, i've had 2 Nokia Phones with Cingular and they were both Horrible! I would think Apple would partner with LG with the V3 phones that they have for streaming video/music/etc.

i have a n-gage, with t-moible and it is just fine. but i don't use it to surf, thats what my apple is for

Nokia's are terrible. they're the windows of mobile phones. "everyone" has one and "everything" is available for them. people accept the crap battery life, and complete lack of features at each price level.

I've always knocked Nokias. They're a big slow, clunky, crippled.

So now I have a Sony Ericsson T610, and interface-wise, the non-Nokias have a way to go.

Well: I think that mobile phones overall are "terrible". I actually like Nokia, but that does in no way mean they're perfect. I've had a lot of mobile phones. And most get the most basic things wrong. Nokia certainly has the right interface for me - at least with Series 60 and Series 80 phones.

But I'd really like Apple to come to this market and clean things up. They _could_ create _the_ simple to use mobile phone that's feature-packed, simply because no-one has succeded so far...

I'm not 100% sure about it but I think Nokia is the biggest cell phone producer which means that Apple would be in an alliance with the biggest player in the cell phone business.. This can only be a good thing since it could get alot of exposure...

I think that the Nokia phone will be less delayed than the Motorola one... since Nokia will be using Apple's expertise to develop a Safari based browser for the cell phone as opposed to trying to provide music on it which I'm sure the big cell phone companies would be happy to provide for an extra fee ! ..

Looks like everyone wants a piece of the Music pie... I mean who's going to buy a song on iTunes for his ipod and then buy the same song on his phone since the phone company won't let him transfer the songs ? .. I personally would not buy a song for use in a cell phone.. I mean would I be able to download the song to my Mac ? Probably not since that would mean I could upload songs to my phone in which case I wouldn't be buying any songs through the phone...

I just don't think buying music on cell phones is a good idea regardless of if Apple does it or if a cell phone company does it.

I personally like nokia, my only gripe is lack of Quadband GSM phones on their portfolio. Being a Cingular customer I would like to get the cool phones that come out in Europe (and not use the stupid versions they send here :p). I also like SonyEricsson, motos I have never used.

I think that this is a good opportunity to incorporate iSync support for the majority of nokia phones. Currently it seems that only Series 60 phones can sync with a mac, Series 80, Series 90, and Series 40 phones are out of the loop (I know that there are workarounds for series 80 but I really mean official official sync support).

I think almost all SE phones support iSync on the mac.

Someone mentioned that Nokia is the largest maker of phones, this is true and a strategic alliance with them brings apple in a good spot. Who knows, maybe they get to have part of the Symbian pie and start creating Apple + Nokia phones ( sort of like how Sony and Ericsson got together)

I think that if apple plays their cards right, with Series 40 phones being iTunes capable, it should be easy enough to create Series 60, Series 80, Series 90 and UIQ iTunes applications, then if they want to they can also get moto and SE to include it in all their phones... if the market is saturated with iTunes capable phones from the three major manufacturers, what will they do? :) (Yes I know there is samsung that still makes phones...)

Admiral

xarcom said:
I just don't think buying music on cell phones is a good idea regardless of if Apple does it or if a cell phone company does it.

Neither do I, I just want a phone to make phone calls and send the odd message, all this other stuff is totally worthless to most people.

Of course, me too. But the teenies in Europe - despite me telling them not to - _are_ buying a lot of those ringtones already. :p What I really want to say is: The masses, the providers and the money tell Nokia, SonyEricsson, Moto etc. what the phones should feature.

my series 60 (a 6630) never worked. it was recognised my bluetooth, was recognised by isync, but then said my Nokia 6630 was incompatible

funny it knew exactly what it was.... but i've lost that one now. it got theived. now i'm wrestling with an insurance company, and they're being really evil about it. i've done nothing wrong!

it did play AAC's though... which was nice

I guess for the 6630 you could use the same hack in Tiger that got my 9500 working with iSync... Although that's rather irrelevant now you ain't got it any longer... Unless you buy another Series 60 phone, that is.

fryke said:
Of course, me too. But the teenies in Europe - despite me telling them not to - _are_ buying a lot of those ringtones already. :p What I really want to say is: The masses, the providers and the money tell Nokia, SonyEricsson, Moto etc. what the phones should feature.

They don't have that f****** Crazy Frog in your country too do they?

Back