non-standard characters?

nervus

fencer
Hi
Could anyone tell me how to get non-standard characters like in german and scandinavian languages? I seem to remember that you can do that by giving special key-strokes :confused:

Greetings
nervus

umlaut letters: alt-u and then the letter. so äüö
ø = alt-o
úíóáó come with alt-e and letter.
ãõñ come with alt-n.
âîôû come with alt-i.
å = alt-a.
¥ = alt -y.
I wish I remembered the combination for the letters with the accent the other way. I will need it soon. :)

use alt-`and letter for àèìòù

there is a small application in Apple Utilities named Key Caps that lets you check the key mapping

I did not find the right ' on my new keyboard.

Also, the keyboard layout decides what combinations work. In Italian keyboard some letters are different from those in US so to get the yen sign, the tilde etc, i need to find the right combo for that key on the specific (if non-US) keyboard.

There is also the character palette, which yo ucan put in your menubar: very usefull for even less-standard characters ... like all kinds of arrows, crosses, stars, asterisks, ornamental punctuation, and useful things like mathematical symbols and parantheses.

Originally posted by Giaguara
I did not find the right ' on my new keyboard.

Also, the keyboard layout decides what combinations work. In Italian keyboard some letters are different from those in US so to get the yen sign, the tilde etc, i need to find the right combo for that key on the specific (if non-US) keyboard.

right ' is the ' just on the side of the left shift key.

' is left of the right shift. alt' is æ.
right of left shift is z. alt z is sigma, it does not show correctly posted in safari ...

There is also the character palette
After my last posting I discovered this utility too: it is very useful indeed. Especially when one has to use the odd character that is foreign to one's own language.

Greetings
nervus

Back