noobie question for you guys :)

Total Konfuzion

Registered
Okay, here goes. I have some experience with *nix..or have had some so I went ahead and got X11 setup on my 10.3 install. I downloaded the fink binaries and fink commander, everything is alright so far. When i launch x11.app an xterm window pops up and i'm like "alright, sweet...good to go" So I go ahead and just to test out things i download ircii from the find commander...it installs the binary from the .deb package and so forth....i go ahead and type irc into X11's Xterm...command not found. So i go to the applications menu in the x11.app and set the right path, which is /sw/bin/irc or /sw/bin/irci-20300709 or something like that....i tried both of them....nothing once again.

Now the wierd thing is...i can launch terminal.app, punch in irc and blam...there it is, heh. is the X11 xterm broken? or am I missing something painfully obvious? :rolleyes: :(

Basically, why can i launch the program from term.app but not from X11's Xterm window?

Did you close and reopen the xterm window before trying it? Or typing rehash? If you've just installed something you need to do "rehash" to make it update the list of apps in its path..

doesn't x11 use a different initialization script? that could be the case. check to see that your $PATH is the same in both xterm and terminal. that's my guess.

how would i check that donkey? Heh. I tried rehash but it just says command not found. everything still works in terminal...just not xterm and yes i did open it and close it several times :)

Rehash is a shell builtin, found only in C shells (including the 10.2 default shell, tcsh). 10.3 switches to bash, which doesn't need to rehash to find new executables.

To check your path, just type
echo $PATH

Back