Normal daily reading of the board ... ?

gator

Registered
For some time I have enjoyed reading many of the posts on this board. Typically I scan all new messages once a day.

To do this, I go to the forums, click 'New Posts' and start reading. When I am done, I use the 'Mark Forums Read' SUBMENU from 'Quick Links'. It works perfectly.

These are the only two menu commands I ever use.
So, why is 'Mark Forums Read' hidden in a sub-menu?

Or, am I following the board in a clumsy way and is there some easier manner to follow the new messages?

If you only visit once per day, you don't need to bother with the Mark Forums as read command. I am not sure what the timeout period is (I think it is something like a couple of hours), but if you visit the forums, then leave for longer than this timeout period, when you come back and click the New Posts link, it will only show the threads that have been updated since your last visit.

I don't think enough people use MFR enough to justify putting it with the rest of the links (unless you use IE, for which vB 3 disables the submenu). I think the timeout length is 4 hours, though this seems to have been shortened.

I just wish I could reload a "New Threads" page and it would show new threads since last time I clicked it in the order they were posted, like it used to be... now, if you reload that page after the timeout time, you get an error.

Thanks for the hint, so I can just skip the 'Mark Forums Read' command.

I agree that a simpler and more logical behaviour (than the timeout) would be that 'New Posts' gives you the new posts since the previous time you clicked 'New Posts'. Indeed, as it used to be ...

Actually, it still does... my point was that it doesn't do that when you reload the page, like when you click the little icon at the top of the window. And if you save the URL to your search results page, you can't come back to it at a later date (try it, you'll see what I mean). It's been like this since they made vB 3.

When I use 'New Posts' I find a couple of pages of new posts. Next, I click on New Posts AGAIN and I get the same list!

Thus, not new since the previous time I clicked it, then it whould show no or only a few posts ...

So, are you sure it works that way? Or did I misunderstand your post?

It shows you new posts since the last time you were on the board, which is either the last time you clicked something in the previous session (click anything within a 4 hour period to extend your session... do this once every 4 hours and your session will extend for a long time) or last time you clicked Mark Unread.

You can tell by when it says you last visited. Your new posts will be new from whenever it says you last visited. If you've clicked it several times within a session, then the lists just gets bigger.

Do you understand this?

Arden said:
It shows you new posts since the last time you were on the board, which is either the last time you clicked something in the previous session (click anything within a 4 hour period to extend your session... do this once every 4 hours and your session will extend for a long time) or last time you clicked Mark Unread.

You can tell by when it says you last visited. Your new posts will be new from whenever it says you last visited. If you've clicked it several times within a session, then the lists just gets bigger.

Do you understand this?

Yes, it seems to work that way. Thus, clicking on 'New Posts' does NOT get the new posts since the previous time you cliced 'New Posts'. That is what I understood from your earlier response, and which would make perfect sense. And, if I remember correctly, that was also the way it used to be.

So for me it is now also working fine sine I look only once or twice a day.
But if you read much more often I guess the old behaviour is easier.

Well, it gets the new posts since the last time you clicked it, but it also gets the new posts since the last time you visited. So if you click New Posts several times during a session, each time it will show you all the new posts since it says you last visited, including those that have been made since you clicked it the first time... follow?

Back