Norton Anti-Virus problem

John Dodds

Registered
I am using Panther and get an repeat error message saying that several extensions have not installed properly. I have tried reinstalling by system tells me there is no need to install?

Is problem fixable?

If not, how do I delete extensions and preferences? The help messages are no help at all.

Grateful for any assistance.

What version of Norton AntiVirus are you using? You need version 9 for Panther.

Try using the Norton CD to uninstall.
The files are in:
Hard drive: Library:Application support
Library:preference Pane
Library:Startup Items
Home:Library:preferences

When you are removing files from the hard drive:Library, the system may not allow you to because of permissions. You will need to verify and repair permissions from Disk Utility

You might want to think about using something other than any Norton product on OS X. Been causing problems.

Yes... If I were you, I would uninstall Norton for 2 reasons:

1) It's superfluous, as OS X has no known viruses as of right now.
2) Norton products (esp. for OS X) tend to cause more problems than they solve.

Thanks, Cheryl

I'll try what you suggest. Not sure what you mean by verify and repair permissions from Disk Utility, though.

John

Cheryl said:
What version of Norton AntiVirus are you using? You need version 9 for Panther.

Try using the Norton CD to uninstall.
The files are in:
Hard drive: Library:Application support
Library:preference Pane
Library:Startup Items
Home:Library:preferences

When you are removing files from the hard drive:Library, the system may not allow you to because of permissions. You will need to verify and repair permissions from Disk Utility

There _is_ a reason to scan for viri on your Mac: To _not_ be a virus-sender. Do you really want to infect other people's computers with viri? Guess not. Sure, your Mac won't be hurt, but it doesn't seem like a professional attitude not to care about viri in a Windows world.
My sister's been exchanging Word files with colleagues for a while - and they all found viri (Word macro viri) in the mail messages my sister sent from her Mac. And quite surely, people started to think about my sis'. Not good.

John, go to Applications folder. There is Utilities folder in it. You find Disk Utility program in it. Open it. In disk utility, choose your hard drive, and run the option "repair permissions". Better after uninstalling norton. :)

It is a good maintenance tyhing to do every now and then, lets say once a month or anytime you have problems. It will take normally like 5-10 mins to run, and it can run in the background.

I agree with bobw. Installing Norton AntiVirus or SystemWorks is the easiest way to gunk up your OS X system. When you do decide to uninstall, Norton leaves some files behind which are not readily apparent in OS X and must be addressed through Terminal (if you can find them - the Norton install log will at least give you the file names).

I had Norton software installed on my software and (I crap you not) kept getting kernel panics. The panics stopped after removing the Norton Software. I use NetBarrier and VirusBarrier from intego.

No problems so far, except for annoying (but useless) code red and nimda attack requests on my mac

Back