Not quite sure how, but.... iPod causes my G5 to completely crash?

aruberu

Registered
For starters, I've got an iMac G5 running 10.3.9, iTunes ver. 6.0.5, and a 40GB click wheel iPod.

About a week ago, I connected my iPod to my G5 to recharge and to update with some new songs. I picked a playlist that had about 10 songs and pulled it onto to my iPod, which started to copy over the first three before the screen suddenly went black. I assumed I might have activated my screensaver (which starts out black), but when nothing happened and I saw that handy little power light was gone, I started getting concerned.

Seems that pushing the power button wasn't enough to bring my G5 back up; oh no no, I had to unplug my iPod, unplug the power cord on the back of my computer, plug it back in, and then it finally booted.

I hadn't bothered trying again (was usually working on something relatively important, so a sudden shutdown would quickly put an end to my efforts) until only yesterday, when I got the latest iPod updater and tried connecting again. It seemed to update all right, but since I received no confirmation of the update finishing (and my iPod icon was not back on my Desktop yet), I decided to wait before trying to pull songs over again. In the meantime, I clicked on a song in my iTunes to listen to. It began the song, and then -BLIP- there goes the screen again.

So supposedly, my iPod (or iTunes, or something intermitten between them) causes my computer to crash when I pull things onto it, and even if I try to listen to something in iTunes if my Pod is connected. I've heard a lot about iPods freezing up (which happened to a friend of mine), but I haven't heard anything about this..... Could anyone enlighten me? Thanks.

I have the same problem with a 3G iPod. Within a few seconds of connecting it to a Mac (OS X 10.2 and 10.4) it crashes the computer using either Firewire or USB connection. If you find a way of resetting the iPod please let me know.

Back