*not true, just guessing* Wireless iPod

senne

Registered
When Apple announced Airport Express (with Airtunes) yesterday, i was thinking about a wireless iPod. The iPod, equiped with a light edition of the Airport card, would connect with the Airport Express. So you can sit back and relax and let the music play through your stereo without any cables attached to the iPod. But because it has an Airport card it would also be able to connect to your Mac wirelessly (is that a correct word ??), to transfer songs (or files) from your Mac to your iPod.

I don't know about the technical aspect, but I personally think it will fit just fine in the current way of thinking of Apple (digital hub, everything wireless, etc ... ).

It would eliminate the need for the Mac, and I think while it's great to offer it to PC folks, it isn't as sound to eliminate the need for AirPort-equipped computers. Not right not at least.

Randman said:
It would eliminate the need for the Mac, and I think while it's great to offer it to PC folks, it isn't as sound to eliminate the need for AirPort-equipped computers. Not right not at least.

But wouldn't we all love to carry our iPods to our friends to "stream" our music to our friends' Airport Express? Without having to carry our big, heavy and expensive iBook/Powerbook!

But wouldn't we all love to carry our iPods to our friends to "stream" our music to our friends' Airport Express? Without having to carry our big, heavy and expensive iBook/Powerbook!
Yes, but Apple makes less $$ that way.

But you _DO_ realise that it's much easier (and uses less power) to take that audio cable and jack it into the iPod instead of "streaming wirelessly", right?

fryke said:
But you _DO_ realise that it's much easier (and uses less power) to take that audio cable and jack it into the iPod instead of "streaming wirelessly", right?
It's getting that AV cable conencted to the back of the stereo that is a pain when the receiver is tucked away in an AV cabinet.
:rolleyes:

Yes, but if that friend has an AirPort Express, you can just pick that audio cable from there. And I wouldn't put the AirPort Express behind some AV cabinet. I'd put it where I can access it, since it doubles as a mobile AP base station that I want to take with me. I was only referring to that. Also: How many friends will you have that have an AirPort Express base station? Well, I guess wireless would still have some uses for an iPod. Synching, for example. Then again, you'll have to use the Dock for recharging the iPod, so the wireless feature would again lose a bit... I dunno, I just don't see a real world benefit of a wireless iPod yet. The iTrip however, yes. Does just that without the need for an AirPort Express.

why would docking make you "lose a bit"? if it's wireless, you'd basically only dock when you're charging up - plug the dock into the wall with supplied cables.

wireless sync is my true goal. sync up the iPod where it's connected via the dock (with AV outputs like the Rio Karma 20gb's dock) to my stereo, and just sync up that way.

but... the power drain whilst travelling - I know... turn off wireless when you're not using it (maybe have it auto-detect for the forgetful?) - of wireless would probably make the battery life that much more short.

senne said:

But wouldnt protected content, i.e. music downloaded from iTMS, be prohibited from being shared in such a manner anyway? This type of casual sharing of would be problematic from the RIAA's perspective.

kerrazyjoe said:
It's getting that AV cable conencted to the back of the stereo that is a pain when the receiver is tucked away in an AV cabinet.
:rolleyes:

My receiver has an A/V connection on the front. The cable is always there. Just plug in the iPod and press play.

The express is a cool little WAP. I think the audio out is a gimmick to sell more of them. I may get one for traveling but not for the audio.

nojay said:
But wouldnt protected content, i.e. music downloaded from iTMS, be prohibited from being shared in such a manner anyway? This type of casual sharing of would be problematic from the RIAA's perspective.

Hmm - Id say not - youre not distributing copys of the music file, just playing them to different people. Kinda like sharing a cd. A swish, wireless CD, with 40Gb or MP3s on it...

AirPort Express supports Apple's Lossless Compression technology -- and everything that your iTunes streams across the network to Airport Express is compressed using that technology.

New iPod Features?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Today I was thinking about features that I would love to see in the next generation iPods. Just wanted to list a few. Feel free to add on.

* Ability to change order of songs on Playlists from your iPod (specifically the 'On the Go' playlist) and being able to DELETE songs from the On the Go Playlist without clearing the entire list
* *Built-in* wireless technology...(when in an area with Airport/AirPort Express) being able to access the iTunes Music Store from the iPod. The iTMS would be a much simpler version of the store, with just a Search and the capability to Browse (similar to certain websites that you view on a PDA)
* QuickBrowse-when you are listening to a song, with the touch of a button, being able to access all other songs by that Artist (like the option that was just incorperated into iTunes...but instead of seeing other songs by that artist in the Music Store, you are seeing it inside your own Library.
Hoping also for a Color Screen for viewing Photos maybe. Not likely but we can dream...

JS

Back